Help!!! Random cut wires

sambodean

Reaction score
1985 F250 Project In Progress

Good evening everyone! I'm a brand new user on here, so please bare with me. I just recently bought a 1985 Ford F-250 with the 6.9. For the most part, everything's alright, except for the glow plug light coming on when the engines already running. Upon removing the connector to the glow plug controller, and looking at the female leads, it seems one of the connectors is missing? Is this normal? The controllers prongs are all there, but the female connector has one little metal insert missing?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sambodean

Reaction score
79jasper, I already ordered the accurate diesel kit with the controller, relay, and gps. I successfully removed all the glow plugs without a problem.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum
youre not apart of those side shows are ya? lol

sambodean

Reaction score
lol you mean for those parts? no, everything ive read says buy original ford gp's, berus, or the ones i ordered. It seemed like a fair price for everything...Anyways, is this normal, or will I need to insert something or find a harness?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive only had 87-92 IDI's i dont know about the older stuff.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe you'll cut that plug off.
So you got the solid state kit? Or just a replacement like yours?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only five terminals on the controller. 1 and 3 go to key-on power. 4 goes to the driver's side glow plug bank. 5 goes to ground. 6 goes to the coil circuit of the relay.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB.
When you change over to the solid state GP controller, here is a diagram of the connections. You may nhave to run dedicated wires from battery to GP relay. Run a pair of #10 AWG wires, you should splice in each wire about a 6"-8" fusible link size #14 AWG just for safety, close to the battery, fusible links work as a fuse.

Attachments

• GP CONTROLLER.jpg
    GP CONTROLLER.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 94

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accurate Diesel sells a replacement for the original 6.9 controller that is solid state and plug and play. It is a direct replacement (threads into DS head). One of the pins is eliminated on the solid state version. I installed one but have no report on it as it is currently only plugging the coolant port and bypassed with a push button setup. Maybe some day I will test it but for now the push button works for me.

Last edited:

sambodean

Reaction score
Accurate Diesel sells a replacement for the original 6.9 controller that is solid state and plug and play. It is a direct replacement (threads into DS head). One of the pins is eliminated on the solid state version. I installed one but have no report on it as it is currently only plugging the coolant port and bypassed with a push button setup. Maybe some day I will test it but for now the push button works for me.

I just bought the kit for the 6.9 with the relay. I don't think it mentioned anything about being solid state. But thank all of you for the wealth of Information. Parts should be here in a couple days. I changed out the ignition switch as well (which was probably the problem all along). The tumbler had way too much grease and crap caked on it, but then again, I don't know if that would be the cause of the glow plug light coming on while the engine is warmed up.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
...I don't know if that would be the cause of the glow plug light coming on while the engine is warmed up.

No that is because of the crappy factory controller. They are known to fail, and when they do, they normally fail ON. This in turn burns up your plugs in short order. If the glow plug light is coming on while driving, the controller has "wigged out" and is commanding them to be on. Most have either just installed a push button, or have switched to the 7.3 style controller shown by OLDBULL above. Mel had tried the solid state replacement for his 6.9 (the one that screws into the block wherer the factory one does).............

sambodean

Reaction score
No that is because of the crappy factory controller. They are known to fail, and when they do, they normally fail ON. This in turn burns up your plugs in short order. If the glow plug light is coming on while driving, the controller has "wigged out" and is commanding them to be on. Most have either just installed a push button, or have switched to the 7.3 style controller shown by OLDBULL above. Mel had tried the solid state replacement for his 6.9 (the one that screws into the block wherer the factory one does).............

in addition to the glow plug light coming on when the engine was running, it would occasionally not come when turning the ignition. I would hear the click, watch the voltage go down, but it would never click again and turn off, and the light would never come on. But if i turned the key in the ignition incredibly slow, most of the time the light would come on, warm up perfectly, and shut off. It only recently started coming on while the engine was running. Im virtually replacing everything that has to do with the problem.

sambodean

Reaction score

You were right. The instructions said this is a solid state conversion controller. Good to know. One thing I'm wondering is of the glow plug light is supposed to come on everytime? The trucks already warmed up but the light doesn't come on at all, and it still starts right up....