Help on picking out idi upgrades

tntstinomite

Reaction score
I need to know what to buy in terms of power upgrades for my idi factory turbo truck? It's a 94. It is all stock as of right now. I'm 17 and just looking to get the best bang for the buck in terms of performance. Also, I will be plowing with the truck next year. So is there anything I need to beef up before putting a blade on. If so, what should I do?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Tune up...make sure it is running tip top, and exhaust is good, keep it simple for a while, drive it for a few months and get used to it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The fuel system may be getting weak, A new set of injectors and a rebuilt IP will restore factory power, if its turbo is it ford factory turbo? if it is it will need the Ats upgrade for it, and it needs EGT and boost gauges before you start adjusting fuel and boost, with proper tuning you should be able to acheieve 250 flywheel HP easily

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel system may be getting weak, A new set of injectors and a rebuilt IP will restore factory power, if its turbo is it ford factory turbo? if it is it will need the Ats upgrade for it, and it needs EGT and boost gauges before you start adjusting fuel and boost, with proper tuning you should be able to acheieve 250 flywheel HP easily
X2 on that, you can also look on a new down pipe and housing for the turbo but be forewarned, none of the manufacturers are fun to deal with. You want max air in and max air out, there are many ways to do this just search function this forum to death

tntstinomite

Reaction score
Its an automatic and it has 100,000 miles. I've had it for about a month now and have had no problems other than needing a new front end. By the way it has new injectors but they are economy ones that were in it when I bought it. It has 4:10 gears.

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a straight axle swap will save you alota time and headaches if you have one laying around. trans cooler, straight pipe it and get the ats upgrade, turn up the pump and bump up the psi adjusting the wastegate, straight shot of propane, and put a new air filter in it.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
4:10's are a good start for plowing. Have the transmission serviced, possibly send the oil out for analysis, and heed the advice for a trans oil cooler. Some have fans that come on when the temp rises, pretty trick if you ask me. Also a trans temp gauge is reccomended. I prefer a quality local trans shop over those chain store ones. Next have the radiator flushed and the anti-cavitation additive put in it. If you haven't heard of this, research it. Make sure your fan clutch works also, your engine needs it when that big sail of a plow is directing air away from the radiator. Make sure batteries are good and carry spare alt. and tools to change it. An f250 could benefit from front air bags or an add-a-leaf. A little research will find the ATS parts you need to change out to reach the turbo's full potential. Ford forced ATS to detune the factory turbo for your '94 so it wouldn't out perform the powerstroke due out in '95. dyoung14 highlited important stuff also. After all of this is done, I would reccomend an intercooler to bring you to the next power level. Last note: I baby my truck the most when plowing. Most people pay hourly to plow and rather see the truck last the whole storm than break down early on because the driver mistook the truck for a bulldozer. Best of luck and keep us posted on your upgrades. Check the marketplace out for parts also.