HELP!!!! Need ZF-5 Tailshaft housing like yesterday

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finishing up the rebuild on my ZF-5 in the '90 2wd dually and ran into a major snag, the tailshaft housing has a bad crack in it.

Need just the tailshaft housing for a ZFS542 2 wheel drive ASAP

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 days, nothing.......Calling every salvage yard in NC, SC and VA is turning up nada. No answers to used parts request from yards nationwide.....Oh boy this isn't promising.:cry:

Mabey this will help-Showtits :D

82fordtruck

Reaction score
If you drill each end and bevel the crack out you should be able to have it welded. You'll then want the machine surfaces refaced.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you drill each end and bevel the crack out you should be able to have it welded. You'll then want the machine surfaces refaced.

Drill holes at what ends:dunno , sure wish I could. This crack runs from the tailshaft hole to the top of the housing with a lot of stress fractures. This one needs to be replaced not welded, unfortunatly this one is too bad to be welded or I would have been at the weld shop on Friday after calling GEO and Towcat about it on Thursday night. Thanks guys.

The crack runs completely through the seal and bearing surface for the tailshaft and the new bearing cup will not hold in place, it's actually quite sloppy as the case is actually spread a little, the old bearing cup was even cracked.

The crack also runs through one of the holes that holds the shift forks in place and allows them to slide making a weld in this area nearly impossible and then goes to the bottom of the case.

Last edited:

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
From what I've been told, you can't just swap out housing halfs. I have a ZF-5 4x4 trans w/cracked tailhousing and friend of mine that knows more about these tranny's the I do told me that because the way the ZF is cast and machined, each one is is a little different from another. He said that mix matching cases will work temporarily but eventually chew up bearings and possibly other internal parts.
I wanted to put a ZF-5 in my 86, but I guess I have a junk case with good gears.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I can't really remember what the tailhousing looks like but I think you'd be surprised what can be fixed.

I just got done supervising repair on a shaft that weighs 75000 lbs and rotates at 520 RPM. It was bent after a catastrophic failure.

But if you think it's broke send it to me and I'll see if we can do anything with it. You can't use it anyway. I'll send you a PM with address.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you called a place called Rockland standard gear, They are located in NY somewhere and have everything you could want for a zf, I will see if I can get you the # tommarow, or I do beilive they have a website also, not sure what the part will run price wise but It would be worth a shot, -Brad-

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think he said he towed it with the driveshaft in place! OUCH!!

Yep 750 miles worth....That was before I found out you can't flat tow a ZF5 tranny. :idiot: :kick:

From what I've been told, you can't just swap out housing halfs. I have a ZF-5 4x4 trans w/cracked tailhousing and friend of mine that knows more about these tranny's the I do told me that because the way the ZF is cast and machined, each one is is a little different from another. He said that mix matching cases will work temporarily but eventually chew up bearings and possibly other internal parts.
I wanted to put a ZF-5 in my 86, but I guess I have a junk case with good gears.

I'd call BS on that with robotic mass production and CNC machining and probably millions of them made, especially when you can get a rebuild kit without syncros at Autozone for $155 and one with syncros for $396. These are not rare one off transmissions in a hand built exotic car.

The ZF is however a PITA to pull apart and you can't swap tailshaft housings like you could on an old toploader, muncie, saginaw or tremic transmission. The entire guts of the ZF tranny comes out with the tailshaft in one nice 200 lb chunk of metal.

CRMW

Reaction score
I just came across the ad on FTE, hope it helps.

"1989 ZF 5 speed manual 2 wheel drive tranny from a 7.3 diesel motor.i was told it will also bolt up to any big block ford motor. call 573 436 0731 harold"

Chris

Last edited:

Mr. Bob

Reaction score
If one from a 1990 460 gas ( which I believe are the same ) will help I believe I have one...

Email me:

mr-bob AT telus.net

I live in canada so shipping may be more, but may be worth it if you cant find one..

Cheers
Bob

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just came across the ad on FTE, hope it helps.

"1989 ZF 5 speed manual 2 wheel drive tranny from a 7.3 diesel motor.i was told it will also bolt up to any big block ford motor. call 573 436 0731 harold"

Chris

Thanks Chris, trying to avoid replacing the entire tranny now that I have already put $200 into bearings and installed them already. Especially when the gears and synchros look like new in what I already have so I know what I'm working with.

If one from a 1990 460 gas ( which I believe are the same ) will help I believe I have one...

Email me:

mr-bob AT telus.net

I live in canada so shipping may be more, but may be worth it if you cant find one..

Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob, The gasser should work as the main differences in the ZF5 are the gear ratios and the bell housing end. I'll keep it in mind. I just located one near me for $125 so If Mama gets back from Virginia Beach tonight and doesn't kill the bank account I'll be taking a short road trip tomorrow so I can hopefully wrap it up this week.

Here are a few pics of the damage (WARNING LARGE PICS)

Cracked Bearing Cup that came out of the tailshaft
You must be registered for see images attach

Cracked housing, pretty easy to see where the housing has spread apart but the hundreds of stress fractures surrounding the crack don't show in the pic. the crack turns and runs through the middle of the left shift rod hole shown about the center bottom of the pic. There is also a lot of wear from the tailshaft bearing cup being spun on it's seat

Remains of tailshaft bearing. The other 4 shaft bearings were fine. The rust is from a leak in the roof of my barn and the storm that rolled through here yesterday. Just noticed the speedo gear clip in the pic, though that thing was long gone after the tranny ate the gear.

Last edited: