HELP! need alternator bracket for 1987 6.9L

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • Just noticed the upper bracket on my alternator is cracked. This would be the upper curved one with the slot for adjustment. See the picture from e-bay, i only need the slotted part. I'm not sure what all years will work, but if it looks like this my bet is it will be OK. I'll go $30 pay pal shipped to Billings, MT 406 794-4362. THANKS!
    You must be registered for see images attach

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet a hot rod shop would have a universal one. Cut it to length and drill *****.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of them welded in that spot.
Yeah, if all else fails I'll weld mine, but then I know it'll just crack again. It makes me wonder how long the thing has been cracked, and how long I've been getting lucky. Had a little belt squeal last few days, decided to tighten the belt, and there was the crack!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have some brand new ones. Are you interested?

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the bar thingy installed and I have to say it works great! I had to stack a couple of washers under it to give the lock nuts room to turn, and the 8mm bolt in the alternator doesn't fill up the hole in the heim joint end completely (I don't think this will hurt anything). Adjusting the belt tension is super easy and accurate. I'd recommend doing this to anyone especially if you are running a 3g alternator with v-belts and need to keep the belt tight.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm impressed with the modified belt adjuster. If I was running V belts I sure would change to this adjuster

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Glad you stumbled across this and experimented. I'd like to see this as a sticky honestly. Would work WAY better than tensioning the belt with a cresent wrench on the alternator.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the bar thingy installed and I have to say it works great! I had to stack a couple of washers under it to give the lock nuts room to turn, and the 8mm bolt in the alternator doesn't fill up the hole in the heim joint end completely (I don't think this will hurt anything). Adjusting the belt tension is super easy and accurate. I'd recommend doing this to anyone especially if you are running a 3g alternator with v-belts and need to keep the belt tight.

Dude. That looks pretty nice. I'm always looking for more room in the van engine bay, and this might seem a little superficial, but I am seriously considering dropping the 30-some bucks to install that on my 6.9-to-7.3 swap next month. Really spiffy. I've already dropped A LOT of money on this rebuild, what's another $30...... :Thumbs Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online