HELP!!! injector return kit caps very loose after install

gushaman

Diesel Novice
Reaction score
HELP!!! I just got done with me inj. return kit and the old caps were on quite solidly, but the new caps are quite loose. Could pensacola diesel have sent caps that are too large? I ordered late style caps cuz thats whats on there, but so far as i know its a 1991 7.3 n/a engine.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. if i cant get this truck in better shape soon Ima hafta trade it.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The only difference in the early or late caps is the hose size (smaller for the earlier). All the injector bodies are the same size. Are the caps leaking or are they just looser than the old ones (old ones stiff possibly due to old/hard o-rings)?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't forget the o-rings did ya?:D

Did the caps snap down over the new o-rings well? Any leaks? Any photos?

Heath

gushaman

Diesel Novice
Reaction score
it may be the vaseline but they looked leaky. I got all the lines hooked up except the rear return or loop from one side to the other and turned it over a few times until fuel came out of there and the filter base. then hooked those on. the new caps just seem alot looser. they have up and down trave the old ones did not. Am I supposed to put copper washers or o rings in the caps themselves??? there were about 20 million in the bag of parts I got from PD. I got the fuel nuts on tight, but not too tight.

I also have either a slowly dying alternator or a bad battery, so blipping the starter a bunch drains these old, too small, car batts. fast. Plus went to my storage locker to get my charger and a few other things and guess what, I forgot the charger.

all replies appreciated, Im gonna be off line but can check with my phone for responses via email. thanks all

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the copper washers are for injecters were they screw into the head. the o rings go on top of the injectors under the caps

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how you can tell if the caps are seated correctly. you should be able to insert the edge of a piece of thin cardboard between the caps and the injector line nut. If the cap is touching, or your can't stick a piece of cardboard in there with no effort, then you didn't do it right!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea no washers go on the caps, just the two o-rings. there should be a little movement since the o-rings are new and still pliable but i am not sure how much is to much.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, they all have a distinct "snap" when they seat properly. Not always, but mostly. If you didn't hear any snaps or pops when you installed your caps, they probably are not down all the way. One of the most common mistakes made when doing returns, is not realizing how much effort can be required to seat them.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how the injector should be fitted with the O'rings and copper washer before installing in the head. The caps should snap down down over the bottom O'ring. Use plenty of lube (vaseoline) on the O'rings, and the caps will go on easy. There shouldn't be any clearance between the cap and the hex when the cap is all the way on.

Attachments

• Injector.jpg
    Injector.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
All the new ones I have put on are much looser than the old ones as well. Get it running, and check for leaks.

gushaman

Diesel Novice
Reaction score
ok got it running, (bought two new batts and an alternator when it rains it pours and all my money goes down the drain)

every cap is leaking. all nuts are tight. there is clearance between top of cap and fuel line nut. every cap slides up and down a little bit

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get you some viton orings and do it again. I had one bad cap in my last kit (not from anyone here or PD) so I had to replace it with a spare I had around. I don't mean to contradict Oldbull but I have had good success when using silicone based grease or white lithium grease. The main thing is you don't want anything that will eat the orings or hurt the fuel system, the vaseline would be ok too. Also no lube is bad, and will lead to cut orings and leaks. Typ4 sells the viton orings and you can get them in a big box at Harbor Freight but to be honest I am not sure if those will fit. A very good fit is crucial as you found out. Those orings are all that is keeping you from having a big old leak. As agnem said they should firmly snap in place, most of the time you can hear it but not always. Takes a good bit of force but you also must be gentle. The Pensacola return kit is known to be a lower quality one from what I hear on OB. The orings are probably an older, less Biodiesel and ULSD compatible compound like nitrile or n-butyl rubber.