Help identify what's wrong with my ill 7.3 IDI

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's angled just enough but honestly it's not the ideal solution .

When I pull the IP I might go with different valley pan that is designed for turbo drain .

If i have more safe way I would off welded a bung to the oil pan and routed the drain 10AN there like most normal applications . Some suggested to drain back to where the lift pump is if you have electric pump but I do not

you could also run an electronic fuel pump and use the old mechanical fuel pump hole for the drain.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the first time, it bellowed out smoke, much worse than yours. it was cracked heads that blew the gasket out.

the 2nd time, it never smoked, but I had major coolant loss, water in the oil pan. turned out to be a cracked block.

I dont know if its your cooler, but o-rings are problematic. if you send me 50 bucks, I can loan them to you.
50 bucks is refunded when I get them back. you pay the shipping.
becoming a supporting member, ill ship it free, but you pay to get it back.

if the smoke reaks, its fuel
if it smells sweet, its coolant.

FYI the coolant if contaminating the oil, will destroy your bearings.

Sound fair enough and greatly appreciated .

I am heading out of town Mid week until the 28th ,upon returning I am planing to resume the process . I will PM you for the plates , while I am waiting for them to arrive ,I will pull the GP's as other memeber sugested to see if they are steamed clean ( not sure why he said the driver side ) but not all .

I have to get to the button of it one way or other

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could also run an electronic fuel pump and use the old mechanical fuel pump hole for the drain.

Comes to think of it .. if I have a failed water/ oil cooler on the oil side I would see oil up in the over flow which I do not

Now if I do have bad O ring on the water side I would see it in the oil which I really don't or noticed any but problem started 2 -4 weeks ago and oil was changed while back and not due to be changed yet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggested drivers side because of your oil drain. By all means pull them all. It was just a starting point.

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience with PSD 6 leakers, there is definitely coolant being burnt which would explain some of the coolant loss.

Don't know if it was already asked but are there any bubbles forming in the radiator when you take the cap off with the engine running? Headgasket failure?

I've read some horror stories about holes in the cylinder caused by cavitation, wouldn't that have similar symptoms?

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i believe that this IDI have some coolant loss but where at is the big Q , Is it by the Oil cooler i will have to get oil ample and look for water , Head gasket or head it self ? This issue has been magnified when it got combined with unburned fuel symptoms which most likely failing Injector or multiples .

I have to do the process of elimination and go from there .Good thing its not my daily driver truck , Truck use for few things every once in a while ..

Black dawg

Reaction score
the small amount of coolant you are loosing wont make smoke...even if it were leaking into an exhaust port some how.

I am real suspicious of poor oil return from the turbo, and also the fact that it seems fine until the cold advance comes off, makes me suspicious of the fuel system.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the small amount of coolant you are loosing wont make smoke...even if it were leaking into an exhaust port some how.

I am real suspicious of poor oil return from the turbo, and also the fact that it seems fine until the cold advance comes off, makes me suspicious of the fuel system.

One of the main changes i am going to make when i return home from 2 weeks holiday vacation is to yank the DIY re route turbo drain and put it back to the valley PAN Indeed . It was one of the most Pain project . But it will eliminate things as i never had these systematical issues before until i done that or at least i believe so .Or maybe it a considence . Spot to eliminate the possibilities i am going back to the original set up and got from there ...

YES the truck runs like Top with the cold advance activated , Then when it comes off the huffs , buffs, random idle and tons smoke goes with it ....

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i appreciate the thread, I enjoy reading as this is the only way we learn . My rockers, push rods and springs had rust all over them from condensation but no sludge

I cleaned the driver side with wire brush . Reason i had that nasty rust , pitting which was related to condensation is because the truck sat for 8 years ...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the coolant pressure test on a cold engine, then on a hot engine. Pump up the pressure to 24# but not over that. Do it slowly, one or two PSI at a time, if it looses pressure between pumps, you will know if it's a leak.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:popcorn
Oh dear, I think I got a very similar problem with my IDI N/A :eek:
My engine was swapped due to burning oil. The “new one“ was supposed to be running very good, with a 50k miles on it.

It starts rough, idles at first rough, then ok, puts out heavy smoke [keep in mind smoking cars is a whole different story in Germany vs. Montana/Colorado/Ohio ... :backoff].
Smoke is blue but doesn't smell like oil but diesel/intended fuel. GPs are new, Injectors are redone, oil new, Filter new.

If it's nut on the fuel side, I will probably freak out -Flame Thr

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it smells like fuel you may have an injector issue. If they are dribbling it can do that. It could be a timing issue I suppose as well.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greeting

Hope every one had a great holidays..

I am back and started to pick up where I lifted off with trouble shooting.

I drove right before the holidays about 325 miles round trip and had Zero coolant loss , today I started to take things apart to pull the GP to see if they are steamed clean as other members suggested , I notified about 1 shot glass worth of oil in my CDR and my turbo hat is half stained with oil . I Know when I ran a road drift tube while back that I had good amount of vapor coming out, so could I have a combination of trouble a blow by and bad injectors ,IP
Pump or all the above .

One thing I also did was discounted the IP and cranked the eng for few sec then connected the IP and eng immediate fired up .

will hopefully will narrow it down with all your help

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member