Help Glow plugs staying on

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I went to start the truck today and the glow plug light didn't turn off in the normal time frame. I turned it off waited for a bit , I went ahead and started it , it eventually went out after 15 seconds of running but then would come on for a few seconds shut off and then repeat. What do you think it is?

What You are describing is pretty much normal. That's how the Stock GP system works. Your going to get a little longer glow time whn temps get colder. Then the system is going to 'AfterGlow'. Meaning it will light the plugs on, then off, for up to 2 minutes.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft glow plugs in there and they are only got about 3k miles on them. I am hoping they are not all fried but they probably are. How long did yours stay on before it toasted them david85?

I am worried about using wrench back there since there is not much room. I think I might just break the plastic top part off and then slide a 1 1/8 socket over it.

You could use a crows foot.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Crow's foot is a good idea.

This was defiantly not normal. And it was 60 degree's out yesterday.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I can get a full sized 1 1/8" box wrench in there without recourse.;Sweet
Just did one last week on Mater.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Well guys I got good news. I put in a replacement delphi controller and replaced all 8 plugs with new motorcraft. Everything went well I was a little paranoid about either breaking off the glow plug controller or the glow plugs breaking when coming out , but no problems. Starts like a champ again.