Help Glow plugs staying on

BoostFiend

Reaction score
I went to start the truck today and the glow plug light didn't turn off in the normal time frame. I turned it off waited for a bit , I went ahead and started it , it eventually went out after 15 seconds of running but then would come on for a few seconds shut off and then repeat. What do you think it is?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad glow plug controller, your lucky it shut off. The pre 87 controllers were known to be troublesome and stick (fail) in the on position. Better take care of that quickly before you fry your plugs.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Yeah I hope I didn't fry it already. I am not going to drive it untill I get it fixed. Where is the glow plug controller , does it look like a starter relay?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah I hope I didn't fry it already. I am not going to drive it untill I get it fixed. Where is the glow plug controller , does it look like a starter relay?

You can disable the controller by removing the single purpleish pink wire on the solenoid located on the passenger fender.

How long did it stay on initially before you shut it down?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
The controller (unless modded) is located on the back of the engine on the driver's side. It's threaded into the block to secure it. Check the thread a few spots below this one one GPs.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The controller is round and is screwed into one of the heads I think at the back of the engine, I havent seen mine yet because the turbo mess covers it. The relay is mounted on the pass side fender and looks like the starter relay that is mounted on the fender well not far from it.

The controller on the cylinder head is the part that usually sticks on. If you do some quick thread researching, you will find diagrams about how to bypass that stock unit if you want to go to a pushbutton setup.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang you guys type faster than me! I stand corrected, I thought the controller was screwed into the head, K Williams says its threaded into the block. Like I said, it's hard to see where anything is back there.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
It probably stayed on 20 to 30 seconds. I know I probably fried some or all.

Thanks for the help guys, I will get a new controller and start from there and replace glow plugs if I need too.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
It might be in the head... I thought it was on the block... I know it's right back there and you can't miss the wires going into a round thing sticking up. I bypassed mine with the newer controller and don't remember for sure. I have a working older style if needed, but I recommend the newer style.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Yeah I think I know what you guys are talking about , I was back there a week ago changing the oil sending unit after you described it I remember seeing it. I think I am going to pick up a new old style one tonight for now so I can get the truck back on the road. I will probably update if I have trouble again in the future.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Ok so whats the best way to remove it. Looks like a 1 1-8 inch socket would work but won't go over the plastic top and not enough room for a wrench. Also whats the best place to buy a new glow plug controller no one locally has one?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me with my 86. Burned all 8 NEW beru glow plugs out-cuss

I used an adjustable wrench to get mine out. Be gentile though, they can seize in the head.

What brand of gow plugs do you have in there?

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Motorcraft glow plugs in there and they are only got about 3k miles on them. I am hoping they are not all fried but they probably are. How long did yours stay on before it toasted them david85?

I am worried about using wrench back there since there is not much room. I think I might just break the plastic top part off and then slide a 1 1/8 socket over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin