Help E4OD problem!

ReaperIDI91

Reaction score
I have a 1991 F-250 4x4 w/ the E4OD, I was told there was a leak, and that reverse was acting up. After it gets hot, reverse doesn't want to work unless you mash on the throttle. I dropped the pan and found the filter laying on the bottom of the pan. So I replaced the filter and gasket, let it warm up and drove it around , and drove it in reverse all the way down my street and it was fine . Two days ago I drove it again and the problem has returned. I have also replaced the VSS and the neutral safety switch, now I have no clue what is wrong, Any suggestions?

UPDATE: It seems to not want to shift from 2nd to 3rd now.

Last edited:

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
I would check the filter again. You may not have the correct filter for your pan. There is a 2wd and 4wd filter. The filter for the 4wd is for the deeper pan. Also check the seal for the filter inlet to make sure it is installed correctly and sealing the inlet of the filter tight.

ReaperIDI91

Reaction score
I don't know, cause when I bought the filter/gasket kit, the parts people asked me if it was a 4wd and I told them that it was, and the kit they gave me matched up with what they had in their system. When I installed the filter, I checked the inlet and the old o ring gasket was still on the inlet tube, so I took it off. When I put the new filter in I felt and heard the suction pop of the o ring gasket on the inlet tube. I don't know maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how long the filter was sitting in the pan like it was, I just wonder if it sitting in the pan did some kind of damage the transmission. Thank you very much for you reply, I will check it out and make sure it's ok.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I just put a "Stay Put filter clip" transmission filter holder in mine. Simply bolts to the valve body via one of the existing holes and it pressed against the filter keeping it from falling out.

Best $5.00 I have spent in a long time.!!