Help, diesel down on side of road

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I"m not sure if DAWN liquid detergent should be used, it makes lots n lots of bubbles, bubbles don't equate to clean, automatic dishwasher detergent does not foam and cleans extremely well especially in the hot environment of an engine...

Just thinking those damn bubbles may be a ***** to get out vs non foaming auto detergent.....

Just thinking outloud here!

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nm I found it. Now I just need to find a diesel compression tester
Most of my technical writing is done with TECH 101 as the very first portion of the title. Do advanced search then tech 101 for key words choose title and my username, you will find a selection of various articles that may help you with your truck.

Please consider using automatic dish washer machine detergent not dawn...the auto machine stuff does not produce sudsy bubbles which will be a ****** to get out of system once they start...

Al

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip riot, I have not yet fully flushed the system, I used some dawn and still have sludge coming out, but not nearly as bad

I did a compression test. The truck had been run about 2 hours before the test, but not for long

Here are the compression test results..

You must be registered for see images attach

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using this as reference "pass side front to back 1,3,5,7 driver side front to back 2,4,6,8"

#1-385
#2-340
#3-355
#4-340
#5-370
#6-290
#7-340
#8-340

I retested #6 twice

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.. Head gaskets look good from the compression tests. Might have a valve guide issue on #6 but not bad yet. I am beginning to think you had a lot of oil in the system and its taking lots of flushing to get rid of it. Automatic washer detergent has lye in it. Thats why it cleans so well. The Dawn dish washing soap suds up in an air environment. I'm not thinking it will suds up in the block. Its used to clean oiled up birds so it has to be safe for that and it does a great job. Will it foam up in our engines.. I'm not sure but whats the thoughts out there. Who has used it and found problems or no problems..

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's good news at least..

I also thought the oil still being in the system was causing it to overheat but how would that explain all the pressure?

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also seems to be building the pressure more quickly now than a week or so ago

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oil itself won't cause it to over heat.

I think you have a pinhole somewhere. Only letting compression into the coolant jackets, not coolant into the cylinder.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it be that running pure water is what is causing the pressure problems? I know that my truck runs between 210 and 215 going down the highway. If straight water is hitting areas in the engine in the 220 degree range, such as around the cylinder, it could be getting vaporized into steam. That steam expanding could be causing these pressure spikes. These old engines just run so darn hot, it may need the antifreeze/coolant to cool it right.

Not saying anything is being done wrong, just thinking out loud here...

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil itself won't cause it to over heat.

I think you have a pinhole somewhere. Only letting compression into the coolant jackets, not coolant into the cylinder.

So what should I do? Keeping in mind I have been out of work for almost two weeks.. haha, sad but true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5