Help, diesel down on side of road

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my workers were driving my 87 6.9 f350 to a job when the temp started getting up there. They pulled over and the truck has "sledge" or oil in the coolant reservoir. It was bubbling out I believe. We replace the water pump about 300 miles ago.

Please tell me I didnt blow a head gasket. This would be the third head gasket this month to blow on $hit I own.. (blazer dd) (2.3 ford wood chipper)

Awaiting replies!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much oil have you lost? That is the question. It has already mucked up your cooling system. Btw, if this is what happened, get new o-rings from typ4. Make sure they are factory victor-reinz o-rings. Anything else is made out of the wrong rubber and I'll fail in short order.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much oil have you lost? That is the question. It has already mucked up your cooling system. Btw, if this is what happened, get new o-rings from typ4. Make sure they are factory victor-reinz o-rings. Anything else is made out of the wrong rubber and I'll fail in short order.

Truck shows about 2 QTS low..
Oil in radiator and res..

How do I trouble shot this, I will be at the truck in 10min

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew more to help you. I am not sure if I would drive it or not. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you responding!

I got it back to the shop.

Some weird things going on.. When we did the water pump last week, we changed the radiator cap to the stock 13lb cap. The one we replaced was a 7 LB CAP!

We think the truck may have a cracked block and someone put the 7lb cap on to prevent pressure.

It made it 10 miles back to the shop and didnt get hot until we got back to the shop. One the way here it got up to 190 and stayed there like it should

Any ideas??

Also, if a mod could move this to general 6.9 idi help I would appreciate it!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet your block is ok. The new coolant might have flushed the oil cooler to the point it started leaking the oil into the coolant.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really sounds to me by what you posted that the oil o rings failed. they do get hard and leak coolant and oil. they normally leak oi into the coolant first because of the higher pressures in the oil but. As time goes by they will leak coollant ento the oil too. Remember then oil pressure drops to zero when the engine is shut down. then the colant pressure stays at 7 or 13 or 16 lbs. Whatever the cap pressure is so it leaks past the o rings into the oil. Best to fix it now like posted before the coolant reaches the oil and ruins the bearing on the crank.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really sounds to me by what you posted that the oil o rings failed. they do get hard and leak coolant and oil. they normally leak oi into the coolant first because of the higher pressures in the oil but. As time goes by they will leak coollant ento the oil too. Remember then oil pressure drops to zero when the engine is shut down. then the colant pressure stays at 7 or 13 or 16 lbs. Whatever the cap pressure is so it leaks past the o rings into the oil. Best to fix it now like posted before the coolant reaches the oil and ruins the bearing on the crank.

I learned last time the truck went down that the best course of action is to shut up and listen to what you guys tell me to do. Saved me almost a grand last time..

My thought was that someone didn't wanna replace a motor, so they put a low psi cap on to "get by" and when we put the higher psi cap on the problem returned.

We put no coolant in the truck, just water. After we replace the water pump we wanted to make sure it wasn't leaking and hadn't got around to putting coolant in yet

This may be a dumb question but where is this oil cooler? The only lines I see going to the radiator are trans lines..

Is there a thread about the removal process besides the one posted earlier?

Thank you in advance for your help, you guys are all right in my book!

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that is helpful.. I hope it goes a little smoother for me, but lady luck has not been around lately..

One thing before I do this.. It only $hits out a bunch of oil when it gets pretty hot, does that change anything? The guy working on it said it doesn't make sense to him why it would only do this when hot.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will a mod please move this to the 6.9idi forum?

I am waiting to do this repair because I want to know if the fact that it only gets a bunch of oil in the rad & resivroir when it gets hot means it may be something else..

Thank you!