Help Air bubbles in radiator

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been having a rotten month so far. It started out that the turbo drian bolts loosened and lost a bunch of oil every where. Ok easy fix. Then start it up later and ran for a minute shut it off and checked the oil. Nothing on the dipstick:eek:, then hear noise in radiator. Took cap off and probably 2 gallons of oil in coolant-cuss-cuss. Put a differant oil cooler on and thought all was well. Took it for a drive and ran perfect. Got home and took the radiator cap off and non stop bubbles are comming out of the radiator ;Pissed;Pissed. Took the compression and the results are.
1-430
2-440
3-420
4-400
5-370
6-380
7-420
8-400
Could this be a headgasket or is this cavitation? The truck starts, idles, and runs like it awalys has. I have not seen any smoke other that the typical diesel smoke.

I am on my wits end trying to fix everything:frustrate. Any and all help is much appreciated.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured that the oil cooler had blown an oring so I took it apart and the orings were perfect. So I figured the cooler itself leaked and put on a spare I had and the oil leak stopped.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil in the coolant could be oil cooler, but not bubbles. Darn. Real sorry to hear that. You'll need to get an adapter for the glow plug hole and put compressed air in each cylinder, one at a time until you find your culprit. Once you find it, put the piston at TDC and hold it there somehow, and put the air to it again. If the bubbles still come out, it's head gasket or cracked head. If they bubbles don't come out, it's cavitation. :(

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stick your finger in the glow plug hole while a friend bars the engine over. You'll feel the compression stroke, and when air stops coming out around your finger, you will have found TDC. Likewise, if you go to far when you back it up TDC will be the moment just before it starts sucking on your finger. Air presure can probably be whatever your air compressor can make. I don't know what combustion presures are, but I'd think it to be well over 100 PSI. :dunno