HELP!!!! 911 What to do

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tranny shop just called me and the flex plate is in pieces. video from my other post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrERUbjhnSM The problem is the new billet torque converter $900.00 has a wrecked snout on it, and also the pilot hole in the crank is oblonged .020, and the snout on the torque converter is .020 under spec now too, thats .040 differrence between both. Torque converter can only be fixed by sending it in and putting on a new front billett cover, and the crank oblong pilot hole, well so far other than taking the engine apart and sending the crank in, do you think epoxy would be a ok fix for holding the torque converter pilot? Cause this is all the tranny shop can think of doing.

What is the best way to go about this?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you put it back together and slightly tighten the convertor bolts, put a dial indicator on the od of the convertor, turn the engine by hand, and hit on the torque convertor with a rubber dead blow hammer till the dial indicator says its in, and then tighten the bolts? We do this all the time in industrial situations.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
step back and take a deep breath. you're not in as deep **** as you think you are.
there's an adapter you need to replace. the crank itself LINES UP THE ADAPTER NOT THE PILOT.
i will post pics of what you need in a little bit when I get into the office.
you are still minorly ****** tho, not totally.....the adapter is kinda hard to find. you mainly find them on the back of turbo motors or in the backseat of "Icanfixall"s truck since he went through hell getting the right sized one made. BTS was selling one but the thickness was off.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tranny shop phoned back and said the other guy who talked to me didn't relise there was a spacer on the crank, and that the spacer can be re-bushed...phew!!!, now it is just the torque converter that has to be re-done.

Here is a picture of the spacer from another forum

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tranny shop phoned back and said the other guy who talked to me didn't relise there was a spacer on the crank, and that the spacer can be re-bushed...phew!!!, now it is just the torque converter that has to be re-done.

Here is a picture of the spacer from another forum

You must be registered for see images attach
don't fix yours. it makes no financial sense. get a replacement and make sure the thickness is identical before putting it in.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote of the day, lol :D So how many different thicknesses are there for these adapters?
Mel will catch up with me soon enough and wave his censor wand and sanitize it.;Sweet
There's only one thickness, but the one sold by BTS for a while was too thin iirc.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tranny shop found a used one from a Powerstroke. It's on its way so they can see if it is the same dimensions as the one from my idi. Converter company will replace the torque converter cover with a new one for $500.00. At least they didn't just say you need a new converter.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tranny shop found a used one from a Powerstroke. It's on its way so they can see if it is the same dimensions as the one from my idi. Converter company will replace the torque converter cover with a new one for $500.00. At least they didn't just say you need a new converter.
PSD crank bolt pattern is completely different from the IDI.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranny shop found out that the powerstroke spacer is very different in size too, much larger.
They were able to locate another same year spacer for my E4OD tranny for $40.00 from a different wrecker. All is well now. Thankgoodness for the spacer, cause my heart really sank when they first told me this morning.

Anybody guess what the main cause would be for a broken flex plate? Tranny was just re-done 4300 km's ago with a new torque converter, and they had the flex plate off to replace the rear main seal. It just seems odd that suposedly there were no cracks when they had it off then, so they say. Engine did have 460,000 km's on it though, so maybe it had some stress cracks undetectable to the eye.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
BTS has the correct spacer. They have them fabricated because nobody makes them anymore...:eek:-cuss:mad: Yes... I have "several" of these hard to find items but... They are found on the back of every 91 and up E4OD equipted truck or van. There is only one size as you already have found out. Any good trans shop can sell you a new flexplate too. BTS sells them as part of their E4OD trans package. Its required because of the bigger triple disc converters they use. The power strokes are way differand and too many holes. Also the psd flexplates wont fit our design either. There torque converters use 6 bolts to hold the converter to the flexplates. Towcat has told you all the correct stuff but.... I don't carry spacers behind my rear seat...:D Butthead......:eek::angel::D Sure glad I can tease him back like he teases me on air here....:moon::flipa:popcorn:kick:;p:sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.