Hello, a plan, and some questions

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Well now that the fine admin :hail has set me up to post (sweet) here I am. Live in Forest Grove, OR and have been stewing this truck project for a while.

The goal is to build a '76 CC 6x6 using pretty much all Ford parts... well cept for the engine.

I pretty much have all the parts:
'76 F-350 2wd CC
'78 F-250 4wd ('79 F-350 axles under it ie. D60's)
2 D60HD rear axles
Extra '76 F-350 cab and chassis frame for adding lenth to the CC.
'86 F-250 4wd diesel (the most important part)

So the general idea of the drive train is to run the 6.9 with it's 4sp and case using only the rear output on the case to a divorced 205. This in effect gives a real cheap doubler. It is also my understanding (though I need to verify) that I can make a dual rear output 205 by installing a second output in the blank spot on the back of the 205. I may need to take pics to show this. I am still up in the air on the bed. Flat bed or utility bed. I like the idea of the storage for tools and such of the utility bed.

The big question that I have and am not finding the answer for.

Do the 460 and IDI share the same engine mounts? Or more to the point. Will a 6.9 direct bolt in to the engine mounts/perches of a 460? Seems some people here have done this swap.

Thanks for the help, this looks to be a great site,

Calvin

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll want to hook up with IDIeselman for all your engine mounting questions. He built up a top notch late 70's F series with our beloved IDI in it. One first place at last years IDI Weekend event. He posts here occasionally, so you might want to look him up and PM (private message) him.