Heating wvo/mixing with additive

Exekiel69

Reaction score
What do you think about this inline fuel heater?

Also I thought about adding power service to the 50/50 mix wvo/diesel, would that be enough on winter?

Still trying to find out if it is worth to start a project like this, help please.

Thank you, Exekiel.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well it did not sale, maybe the price wasn't right. I'm just cheking stuff in case I do make the conversion to 50/50 wvo. I do not want an aditional fuel tank I just want to keep it simple and fill up wvo/fosil fuel mix, so I guess I'll need something to keep it warm before it gets to the fuel filter besides adding power service to it, to keep it from gelling.

I also have to find something else to use it on so I can justify the hassle, maybe for home heating? Anyone converted anything on their furnaces to use wvo on them?

Exekiel.

pafixitman

Reaction score
EZ,
They are selling for $199 from on line stores...

I'm not the brightest bulb, and I am just thinking out loud here...

The purpose of heating the WVO is to keep it from gelling. This heater relies on coolant. That assumes it will be mounted near the engine. How will un-gelled WVO get from the rear tank to the engine compartment to be heated? It will have to travel over 10 feet before it gets heated to travel about a foot into the IP. I would think you need some sort of 12V powered heater at the tank. The ideal thing would be a block heater in the fuel tank. Same idea as a water heater.

Of course, you could steal parts off your grill and put that propane tank to "good" use! We could call your truck "Tostada toro"! :rotflmao :rotflmao

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
EZ, not to promote TDS but the guys in the Bio forum have a lot of good info. Some guys are installing a heater core in the fuel tank to preheat the WVO. Then using the hose in hose method to heat the fuel in the lines(using the engine coolant) from the tank to the fuel filter. From there it stays warm enough to make it through the injectors. The e-bay deal should be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible the using the hose in hose method up to the filter. OR you could start making bio diesel, and that you can burn in a house furnace.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I checked some places where it explains how to make the bio-D but I haven't seen it at work myself, it jst seems like a lot of work to get fuel unless you use a lot of it. Now I don't think I want to start puting hoses all around the frame with hoses inside hoses, it provably is efective but finding a leak could get really tricky :eek: . I thought that mixing it with #2 + additive + the coolant heater before the FF would be enough, in that case it would be a temptation to start the project on my own truck but the winter around here does not help.

I did check the bio-diesel forum a tds since I remember it allways had a lot of info, but every time I ask a question it takes forever to get an aswer, so mostly I read what ever someone else posted in case I got lucky and find an asnwer to my own question there.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think the best way would be to utilize both tanks, one for #2 and the other for WVO. I am not running it though, so I am just guessing. Seems like you could get your engine up to temp on #2, have hot water flowing through a heater like you posted the link to, then switch to WVO while everything was warm. Then, as others have posted, switch back to #2 just before shutdown to flush out the lines. Next day, repeat.

Sounds like a pain in the rear to me, but I don't my 6.9 that much either.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep it does sound like a lot of work, but I tryed to attack this a few times already and never found a good use for it to start it, till now. It could be used on a oil furnace wich wont need heating device for it as long the basement is now freezing, now the chance to use it as fuel on my truck was just an extra to the whole deal. If I finally intend to use it as fuel I will probably use the heater before the FF + some additive + 50/50 mix with #2 and only on one thank. I'm not sure but I think even with Bio-D you still need some heating device before the FF.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Drew (deepRoots) passed Me this link with some info about what to do to keep wvo liquid in different climates. Note the section "Marine Climate" does not show so many heating devices. Maybe with the steps I described it could get away and be successful getting it warm before the FF, but of course I'll find out sooner or latter.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Hey EZ a 50/50 mix will not work in cold weather in an unheated tank I have a 300 watt 12 volt heater in my veg tank plus whatever heat it gets from the stacks I have a copper heating line run right next to the fuel line and wrapped together plus the line from the pump to the filter plus the filter is wrapped with heated copper line and I'm still having problems with the filter plugging off. One problem with with just a heated filter is our trucks actually move a bit of fuel so it moves thru the filter so fast it doesn't have time to heat up and when veggy oil sets up nothin will cut it except heat

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I don't plan on just do a 50/50 mix. This is what I plan to use if I get to it:

1- some type of 12v heater adapted or inside the rear tank, wich is the tank I will use for the mix if I go on with the project while using only #2 on the front tank.

2- Coolant heated fuel filter, like the one I posted before here

3- Another type of inline heat exchanger.

4- Power service added to prevent gelling (with the cost of my fuel it still will be cheap)

5- depending what time of the year wvo/#2 mix on different amounts.

I think that by doing it this way it should work. What do you think now?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
Hey EZ a 50/50 mix will not work in cold weather in an unheated tank I have a 300 watt 12 volt heater in my veg tank plus whatever heat it gets from the stacks I have a copper heating line run right next to the fuel line and wrapped together plus the line from the pump to the filter plus the filter is wrapped with heated copper line and I'm still having problems with the filter plugging off. One problem with with just a heated filter is our trucks actually move a bit of fuel so it moves thru the filter so fast it doesn't have time to heat up and when veggy oil sets up nothin will cut it except heat

Aric, that heater you have on the fuel tank, can it be adapted to our rear tanks? how does it look?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason you want to use the rear tank for WVO? I would think the shorter the run, the better. Less heat loss and such.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
sle2115 said:
Is there a particular reason you want to use the rear tank for WVO? I would think the shorter the run, the better. Less heat loss and such.

Only because it is easier to get on it, since I'll have to install some type of heater inside the tank like the one Aric posted.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
why not get one of those 37 gallon bronco tanks for the rear?
that way you can drill/weld on a few different threaded holes without blowing yourself up.

I'd think a coolant heated fuel pickup, hoh fuel line would be enough for summer usage. Worry about the rest when you can collect more than you can burn in a summer :)