heating up

tractorman86

Reaction score
just started driving the beast again and i've got an over heating problem but only when running down the freeway with the AC on and down here running with no AC is like :frustrate anybody have any ideas?!

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start by check the easy things. Any coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant? Is the coolant flowing well through the radiator. Does it cool down once you get off the freeway and/or turn off the A/C? Is the coolant foaming or boiling over?

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
yeah i dont mean to hyjack, but i have been wondering about my fan clutch.......is there a test to see if it is functioning properly?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan clutch does not matter at highway speeds, ram effect moves more air than the fan.

I suspect the problem is that the radiator fins are bent / clogged / missing or else the radiator tubes are clogged with deposits.

Speaking of fan clutches, when I was in tech school a guy held onto the fan and had another guy start the engine and rev it up, to prove that the fan clutch would slip....... It would take, what a half second to cut off his hands if it didn't..... Stupid people!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
Fan clutch does not matter at highway speeds, ram effect moves more air than the fan.

Umm, that's just not true. The clutch is supposed to engage if a certain temp is reached. 220 degrees if I remember correctly. It then turns untill it senses the temp has dropped to another, lower temp. 208 degrees?

So if you are towing,and/or climbing a long grade,ect. It will come on to keep coolant temps in the safe range.

As for the over heating problem

With the high temps we've been seeing, the fan clutch would prolly be first on my list. There are a couple of tests that you can do. I believe Zig has the test procedure posted on his site

Last edited:

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
thank you PA. looks like what i needed. hope things go better for you man, sounds like you been getting the wrong end of the $#!7 stick lately. not sure theres much a west coaster like me would be able to do, but you think of anything let me know!