heater hoses

Boondocker44

Reaction score
The thing is, is that where the T is, that heater hose has what looks like to be factory style crimps? Its a mystery, lol....

Boondocker44

Reaction score
Ok, found out what its for, that hose comes off the engine side of the system, it warms up the lower tank which warms up the transmission fluid faster. Makes sense now.

Boondocker44

Reaction score
Found out that heater hose comes directly off the block T's and sends a very small amount of warm water to the bottom of the radiator to heat the tranny fluid. Saves on a little wear in extremely cold environments.

Boondocker44

Reaction score
if anyone's interested, the factory radiator in a 1990 f250 7.3 idi weighs 48 lbs.... just got 33 bucks for it at the recycling place.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
VERY few radiators had that fitting in them. They may have been in other years, but I only remember seeing them in 1990 trucks. Back in 98 or early 99, I tried to get a replacement hose with that "T" and extra hose in it because the hose was soft and needed to be replaced. Ford's "wonderful" computer puncher (parts guy) couldn't even find it listed in the computer. After that, if it needed to be replaced, we would put regular heater hose in it's place and plug the hole in the radiator. From what I've seen on here, the actual benefits seem to be minimal at beast. Not much different that the fuel heaters on our engines. In fact, years ago, I bought a used radiator from a guy who had an extra one for an IDI truck. When I saw that it had this fitting, I asked him if came out of a 1990. He was surprised that I knew that (and it was a 1990).

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 91 f250 had the same setup and everyone I asked basically said I was crazy so I'm glad to see it on someone else's truck. When I added a coolant filter to that truck and every subsequent one I used that port in the radiator for the return coolant flow since the filter is usually enough restriction to not allow too much coolant to bypass the thermostat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I guess my F250 got a newer OEM radiator in the early 90s then, since it has the port plugged.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure but I think the 1996 parts truck I bought a little while ago had a similar setup. That one was a 7.5 gasser though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My 91 f250 had the same setup and everyone I asked basically said I was crazy so I'm glad to see it on someone else's truck. When I added a coolant filter to that truck and every subsequent one I used that port in the radiator for the return coolant flow since the filter is usually enough restriction to not allow too much coolant to bypass the thermostat
I have no idea so I'm curious. This sounds like a good set up. I'm just wondering if there's enough coolant flow through this fitting to do much filtering. It's an awful small hole and it seems like it would take a very long time for the coolant to flow through the filter and actually be filtered.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
VERY few radiators had that fitting in them. They may have been in other years, but I only remember seeing them in 1990 trucks. Back in 98 or early 99, I tried to get a replacement hose with that "T" and extra hose in it because the hose was soft and needed to be replaced. Ford's "wonderful" computer puncher (parts guy) couldn't even find it listed in the computer. After that, if it needed to be replaced, we would put regular heater hose in it's place and plug the hole in the radiator. From what I've seen on here, the actual benefits seem to be minimal at beast. Not much different that the fuel heaters on our engines. In fact, years ago, I bought a used radiator from a guy who had an extra one for an IDI truck. When I saw that it had this fitting, I asked him if came out of a 1990. He was surprised that I knew that (and it was a 1990).
I have an 89 and 90 bricknose and a 92 obs that are set up this way. I had to order that line off of ebay. All of mine that have this setup are automatic trans. Only clue I have for this. All but the 92 were deleted and just the straight hose. Left the 92 alone and just replaced the original line that was on it cause I left that truck an automatic. Other two got zf5 swapped

645E3B

Reaction score
I replaced the radiator on my 91 and it didn’t have the tee in the heater hose but my brother has a 94 turbo idi in a 350 and his has this set up. He was replacing hoses a few years back and was unable to find any one with this hose went to Ford and was told that it was unavailable and to remove it from the heater hose as it would not hurt the operation of the engine and he has not had any problems

dan-o

Reaction score
I'm just spit balling, but it could have been used for an auxiliary heater. Maybe a camper in the back? Maybe it was a radiator style that was for a different configuration of vehicle and they just needed a few radiators to finish a production run so some low level manager made an executive decision. " Hey, Leroy, just go get one of those XYZ radiators from the guys next bay over. They'll never miss it!"
Having been in manufacturing for a lot of years, believe that stuff happens more than we realize. :***:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The line from the heater hose to the bottom of the radiator is an E4OD thing. It was used to heat up the bottom of the radiator faster, which is where the transmission cooler is, in cold weather to bring the E4OD to operation temperature faster. However, the orifice in that hose is a pin hole at best. On my E4OD's when I had to replace the heater hoses, the radiator port was plugged, and a hose was ran straight from the engine to the heater. No ill effects seen. If I replaced the radiator, I left the plug in it, and ran a new heater hose. This is why not all IDI's had it. It was ONLY an E4OD thing.....

Boondocker44

Reaction score
Hey. I still have the fitting that goes into the lower tank if anyone needs it, I'm not going to run it. The orifice is clear and its in good shape, i don't want anything for it. Scroll up and you can see pics of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7