Heater control issues

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Realized that on Goldie the controls for heat/ac work normally, but when switching the deflector controls from defrost to def/ floor or floor, nothing happens and the air flow remains to the def ports and no air thru the floor ports. :confused:

When switching from def or def/floor to vent, the vacuum control switch moves the control arm completly over to redirect the air flow and the air comes out of the vents. When in this mode no air from the def or floor ports.:confused:
Is there a second controller under there somewhere I'm not seeing.
Or is this the benefit of an F-series custom truck option?

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Maybe one of the vaccum motors is dead or not getting vacuum. Defrost or defrost/floor is default, andI believe most vehicles have multiples vacuum motorsfor HVAC. You could also try the wild fourwheeling trip with a couple loops to shake loose anything the may be blocking the doors ;Sweet
James

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well after skinning up a few knucles the problem was located. The actuator that controls the defrost to floor air adjustment.
The plastic arm that attaches the flapper door to the vacuum actuator has broken. It is the one placed directly behind the radio and heater controls burried deep into the dash. -cuss -cuss -cuss
Is this gonna be a Ford item or even replacable at all.
I did manage to get it off the actuator but am baffled as to getting it reattached to the flapper door without disassembling the entire dash. :puke:
I need of a skinny boney armed individual for install. :backoff
Will be checking with the NAPA gurus tomorrow and will post back.

sassyrel

Reaction score
only repair im aware of is to replace the whole heater box assm--not fun!!!! and when your done--no longer stack things on top of the dash to fall in there

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ron I don't got an answer to your question but have another question for you instead...while you were digging around in there can you tell me how the fan assembly works? My fan has like 4 settings, low, medium, high and a full blast. On full blast or high it sounds fine but on the two lower settings the fan makes a chatter racket. Since you are now familiar with what's under there, what can I do to eliminate this racket? Don't mean to hijack your thread just thought maybe since you are now familiar with what's under there you'd know what to look for. I mean no sense in me skinning my knuckles up too!! :D LOL Thanks.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
ericboutin said:
Hey Ron I don't got an answer to your question but have another question for you instead...while you were digging around in there can you tell me how the fan assembly works? My fan has like 4 settings, low, medium, high and a full blast. On full blast or high it sounds fine but on the two lower settings the fan makes a chatter racket. Since you are now familiar with what's under there, what can I do to eliminate this racket? Don't mean to hijack your thread just thought maybe since you are now familiar with what's under there you'd know what to look for. I mean no sense in me skinning my knuckles up too!! :D LOL Thanks.

Eric, the fan works by selecting one of the 4 settings, low, medium, high full blast. :rotflmao :rotflmao

Sounds like the fan is taking a puke or a leaf or something is lodged near the squirrel cage. :confused: Might be worth taking the fan off to see whats rubbing. OR
Ya could feed the squirrel so it doesn't keep dragging in it's branches with nuts. :rotflmao
Skin my nuckles EH? AWRIGHT I'll take one for ya. HA!

Here is the tab that has the broken nubs that pops into the flapper bracket. :backoff

Sorry for the poor pic, couldn't find the good camera.

Frank I thought the ice cream was helping that problem. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Vent arm.bmp
    119.1 KB · Views: 22

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes!! :eek: That doesn't look good! I'll betcha that won't be a Ford part. I'll be curious to see what the NAPA gurus say. I'm thinking that might have to be a bone yard part. One good thing about going to the junk yard though is you can practice on their truck first! ;Sweet
I'll have to look into taking the fan assembly apart and seeing if'n I can evict the squirrel! Oh yah thanks for taking one for the team! LOL

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
sassyrel said:
and when your done--no longer stack things on top of the dash to fall in there

Especially ball point pens! I had one fall through a defroster vent and manually block the cable to the heater core door flap. PITA if I may say so.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eww... I feel for you Ron. What a huge PITA.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Hmm. That looks suspiciously like it could be fahioned from a tongue depressor. $1 for 50. Probably could get plastic ones too! Or cover one with a ****** :eek:
James

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
ericboutin said:
Yikes!! :eek: That doesn't look good! I'll betcha that won't be a Ford part. I'll be curious to see what the NAPA gurus say. I'm thinking that might have to be a bone yard part. One good thing about going to the junk yard though is you can practice on their truck first!

Well the good news is the part #18C686 is still available from Ford ONLY and they want $31.78 for it. :puke:
NAPA was a no go.
I have one local connection for the part off a wrecked 88. Fingers crossed that it is still good even tho the cab took a hard hit. :eek:
If'n not, a junkyarding I will go. :D
Gotta agree Eric, plus don't forget the hidden treasures also found. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online