headlight knob?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im about to try and swap out the instrument console, but i need to remove the wiper and headlight knobs. How do i go about doing that?

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
they have a little triangular clip with a loaded edge to stop them from pulling right off.. Just yank the knobs off.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/wiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=2

look there it has a pic and basically the easiest way to explain it is to use a screw driver but support the knob because most all of the brackets supporting that stuff are plastic.

edit dont just yank that plastic will break

someone needs to add this to the tech articles here i thought it was in there at one time

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/wiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=2

look there it has a pic and basically the easiest way to explain it is to use a screw driver but support the knob because most all of the brackets supporting that stuff are plastic.

edit dont just yank that plastic will break

someone needs to add this to the tech articles here i thought it was in there at one time

Just pulling them off will not break the plastic, it will just pull the knob off of the metal tab, then you can then pull off the clip by hand. The way in the link is correct but its much more time consuming.

I have pulled these knobs off literally hundreds of times and never broke a knob.

I guess I just dont see a need to turn a 5 second job into an entire ordeal.

either way will work though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Christ, yes, all the way back to the '70s in both trucks and cars - insert something behind the know in that notch on its side, and pull towards you. Easiest done with a hook-shaped pick, but I find myself using the tip of a think-blade kitchen knife more often than not. It's not really an ordeal either, just takes 10 seconds instead of five ;) Besides I don;t feel comfortable yanking on the headlights switch that hard, them things are cheesy-built as is...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
he likes to yank on little knobs.

i took a few mins the first time i had to get mine off many moons ago. now i got it down to a science. lol

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, i was gentle and got the knobs off. But it took a like force to get them back on :sly

Now i just need to get a Tach pickup and the truck will be good to go. Is it normal for a disconnected Tach to just move on its own.