Headlight and running light mod Qs

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
is there a cut off year for this mod on our trucks? i know 80-86s can use it and benefiet and the 87-91s but what about the 92-96/7s?

also, should one test the output before doing this? or just do it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just do it and save a fire under the dash. The headlite switch carries way too much amperage for my thoughts. Why more truck electrical fires haven't claimed more trucks is beyond me. Ford even has a special "replacement" plug for the burned up headlite switch plug.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone post a link to a thread about that headlight mod y'all are talking about? I'm thinking relay harness for the headlights, but that won't affect running lights, where does this mod put 'em relays?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It especially applies to the OBS models. We have the clearance light relay mod in our tech articles section here. The headlight mod is pretty common and a google search will turn up a number of articles from other sites.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
I can vouch for the '93 in my sig for sure. Headlights started blinking on and off on the way home from the barn one night.That was interesting on the back roads! The relay mod had been on my "to do" list but I hadn't gotten arountuit yet. That lit a fire under me. My switch was bad and the socket was totally smoked too. I think I have a pic of the socket....
You must be registered for see images attach

and
You must be registered for see images attach

Blurry, hadn't figured out macro mode on that camera I guess. You can get the idea though.

I did the relay mod and went ahead and did a parking light relay mod inside my dash too as I've got the dually with all the extra marker lights.

I cut the wires out of the old socket one at a time and soldered/heat shrunk them in order.

This is the article I followed when I did mine:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/8/039/article/Whiter_Whites_Brighter_Brights.html

If that's a no-no, the mods can whack the link. Just google "whiter whites brighter brights".

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link. Unlike other forums we are not afraid to leverage the power of the internet for off site linking. I'm pretty sure that link is the standard most folks refer to. I've done these mods too, but I think the thing that really helped my headlights the most was switching to the Halogen type instead of the sealed beams in the pre-92 trucks.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
did youre headlights get any brighter? i mean did you notice a drop in ohms?

I never measured the voltage I was getting at the lights before or after so I can't tell you for sure. Seat-of-the-pants though, they seem brighter, we get flashed (not -Showtits that kind of flash) now and we didn't before. I hadn't had the truck long before the switch went out and it's been a while since I did it . Sorry if I'm not very helpful with info here....

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link. Unlike other forums we are not afraid to leverage the power of the internet for off site linking. I'm pretty sure that link is the standard most folks refer to. I've done these mods too, but I think the thing that really helped my headlights the most was switching to the Halogen type instead of the sealed beams in the pre-92 trucks.

I was pretty sure I'd done it and/or seen other links before. Thanks for the info on using the 'net as it's meant to be, not a closed system! ;Sweet ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It especially applies to the OBS models. We have the clearance light relay mod in our tech articles section here. The headlight mod is pretty common and a google search will turn up a number of articles from other sites.

Ok Mel, I'll look for the running lights mod. As for the headlights, I have done that on my Lincoln, I went crazy on it too:
1) engage marker lights: marker lights on, fog lights on (2x100W)
2) engage low beams: marker lights on, fog lights off, four low beams on (4x55W)
3) engage high beams: marker lights on, high beams on (4x65W), low beams on (4x55W), fog lights on (2x100W)
Tis all relayed, no extra switches needed, the stock headlight switch controls it all. I used 6 relays, tho I could have just went with 4, and my total power output on high setting is supposed to be 680W - it lights up the road literally two counties ahead, If I pay attention I can see every crack on the road well before I drive up to it. Also having four low beams allows me to widen up my high-visibility area by pointing the outboard lamps slightly off to the side, great for driving in Suburbia or down remote country roads where there's lots of deer running around the woods. Too bad these trucks have only two headlights, but I can always add a few auxiliaries...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I wired up my fog lights, I used a seperate relay for each. I had the idea of making them blink back and forth like locomotive ditch lights when I blew the horn. LOL Alas, I never got around to building the control circuit.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I wired up my fog lights, I used a seperate relay for each. I had the idea of making them blink back and forth like locomotive ditch lights when I blew the horn. LOL Alas, I never got around to building the control circuit.

We call those "Wig-Wags" in my world! LOL :D

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the running light mod.

Regarding the need for the mod on 92-96/7s trucks. They have heavy gauge wire for the running lights which might help, but ultimately, there is still a lot of load on the switch especially if you have clearance lights.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JPR, thanks for the link, I looked for the article in the IDI-specific tech section but I guess that was teh wrong place to search in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online