Head stud torque

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got some ARP head studs (thanks Gary & Russ for the part #;Sweet) and was wondering if these take the same torque as a head bolt of 100 lbs or something differant. I read that the studs require 5 torquings before the final torquing, is that right. Also is there anything I should before, during, or after the studs are in.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did mine to the stock spec, the fine threads will give more clamp force so any more would be overkill. I found out about the 5 torque after I did mine, I have only done it twice. Use the proper lube and lots of it, be careful what socket you use as not to ****** the threads.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The studs for the 7.3 are about 1/4 inch too long. When the nut is tightened with a deep socket it bottoms out and rounds off the top fine threads. Keep the socket straight and just up off the main part of the nut so things wont mess up. Use only the ARP Molly lube and use plenty of it. This is one place where more is better. If you use that molly the torque is 100 lbs. And 30# oil the torque is 130 lbs. Now do that 6 times and you my friend are worn out. Its best done on a motor stand. I hope thats how you are doing this. When torqueing down the rocker arms turn the crank half the distance between where #1 tdc is and the 12 Oclock crank position. That way all the pistons will be below the top of the strokes. No valve to piston contact will happen there. The heads and block must be perfectly clean and lint free plus the bolt threads in the block need cleaning out with a bottoming tap. Other than all that is easy....:D I used 110 lbs of torque just because I felt better that way. With these studs the clamping power is so much better than the stock head bolts. A new bolt yeilds at 153,000 psi. The ARP studs yield at 200,000 psi. I think the set I got from ARP was a 220,000 psi set but that was long ago too. I suffer from CRS... Can't remember.... Something.....:rolleyes:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I asked about studs a while back and I never thought to ask a part number. So what is the part number for those studs?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you call ARP the people don't know they have this stud because its not in the catalog. The stud part number is AR7.000-lb. It is 1/2x7.00 inches long and its broached. I paid $287.30 and got a $43.10 discount with a $8.61 freight charge. So it ended up costing me $252.81 for the sruds. You still need the nuts and washers. The nuts are ARN12-1 and the washers are ARW78N. There are two differant types of nuts available. I bought the expensive 12 point nuts but the other nuts will work fine too.