head gasket repair

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well today i started pulling the engine down to do a top end repair. as i removed the injectors out of the head i noticed 3 out of the 8 were wet, wet ,wet on the tips, so i think i found my bad injectors. im going to have all of them tested or might even replace all of them depending on the funds. not to sure on if i made a mistake or not, the injector pump gear housing was leaking oil so i removed it to repair the leak while i had it down. not to sure on how to get the gear timed again because i dont see any marks on the cam gear are do you have to remove the waterpump and the plate behind it to get access to the marks on it. so if anybody feels free to enlighten me with the correct info please do. i cant wait to get the heads off it this weekend to see what kind of shape the piston and cylender walls are in, i know the injector where the head gasket was leaking is some kind of clean, so it must have been leaking for a while. also please fill me in on the do's and donts when i start putting it back together. thanks for any replies.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I have been working on this too for almost a year and am almost done!!
I will never do it again with the engine in the truck!!! pull the engine and work at it on a stand! as for the timing as long as you don't move the IP gear you should be ok to just put the IP back, you will find alot of info in the tech posts
good luck and let us know what you find pics are great!!!:D

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeh thats the only problem i already removed the ip gear and gear housing, i had to, to fix a oil leak that i had on the gear housing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Clean the block and then clean it again. When done wash it with brake cleaner because it does not leave any residue. All the head bolt holes in the block will need to be cleaned out. Use only the 1/2-13 bottoming tap. Anything else will not clean the threads at the bottom because these blocks have blind drilled and threaded holes. They don't pass thru to the water jackets. Keeping things clean is really important....

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Use only the 1/2-13 bottoming tap. Anything else will not clean the threads at the bottom because these blocks have blind drilled and threaded holes. They don't pass thru to the water jackets. Keeping things clean is really important....

my head bolts were 7/16-14? what would be different?:eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both the 6.9 and the 7.3 blocks need a bottoming tap to clean the complete length of threads in the block. It doesn't matter if you are working on the 6.9 with the 7/16th inch threads or the 7.3 with the 1/2 inch bolts. Both need the same cleaning done. Be careful near the bottom. The tap will become very tight when it reaches the bottom. You can't add threads in a blind hole with a bottoming tap. You can break it though. Use some cutting oil so things slide easier.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
He is working on a 7.3 and I am sure was just posting what he was using. 6.9 should be 7/16 as you have.

i was scared for a minute there....
I'm having a rough time with mine... i even thought i posted this??
don't forget that some bolts don't come all the way out or go in if you leave it in the truck! I also bumped the gasket and bent it on the corner?

Attachments

• DSC00075.JPG
    DSC00075.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00076.JPG
    DSC00076.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00065.JPG
    DSC00065.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 14

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Both the 6.9 and the 7.3 blocks need a bottoming tap to clean the complete length of threads in the block. It doesn't matter if you are working on the 6.9 with the 7/16th inch threads or the 7.3 with the 1/2 inch bolts. Both need the same cleaning done. Be careful near the bottom. The tap will become very tight when it reaches the bottom. You can't add threads in a blind hole with a bottoming tap. You can break it though. Use some cutting oil so things slide easier.

Yes, procedure is the same. I think this is what was questioned :

Use only the 1/2-13 bottoming tap.

The original poster (and h2odrx) are both working on 6.9's. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Boy-o-boy. I can't seem to read the complete postings these days. I should have seen that the questions were about the 6.9 motor. It must be the cat sitting in my lap with VERY SHARP CLAWS or maybe its the sickypou wifey thats been home for 7 days now. I sleep in another room. She coufhs way too much for even ear plugs. Whenever I go near the bedroom I just throw anything in she wants just like a hand grenade. Then wait for the smoke to clear.....:D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Boy-o-boy. I can't seem to read the complete postings these days. I should have seen that the questions were about the 6.9 motor. It must be the cat sitting in my lap with VERY SHARP CLAWS or maybe its the sickypou wifey thats been home for 7 days now. I sleep in another room. She coufhs way too much for even ear plugs. Whenever I go near the bedroom I just throw anything in she wants just like a hand grenade. Then wait for the smoke to clear.....:D

Damn, you too? My wife has been having seizure like episodes since the day after Thanksgiving. No one has a clue why, been in the hospital for three stays for about a week each, still no clue! At least I don't think it is contagious!!!

Anyway, I knew what you were talking about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online