having fuel issues??

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i have been around here for awhile and never had a issue with this truck till now. I run little bit of wmo time to time but usually around 50/50 mix at the most. Recently My fuel filter light came on and I thought it was time to change the filter so I did. I have a holley red by the way. So I changed the filter and started truck up and the next day the filter light comes on again. So I put a guage on the filter head where the hard line goes from the filter head to the ip. I have 6 psi with pump on and I can hear the return fuel poring back into my tank. ( I have a 45 gallon rds tank in the bed) So I think everything is ok with pump.well been dealing with this for a week now and cant figure out what is wrong. Truck starts up fine cold or hot, but soon as you go to drive it and put a load on the motor the fuel filter light comes on. What gives? If I keep on it the truck will start to starve for fuel and not run eventually. Will idle all day fine. Well today I broke down and bought a new pump( holley red) installed it and no change!!! So is there something I am missing here???

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
It could still be the pump, 6 psi would quickly turn to 0 under load. Holly pumps are meant for gas which is why some are opposed to them. A wmo mix or any mix more than straight no. 2 is pushing them, especially considering they are being pushed beyond their design pumping straight no. 2. Put a fuel pressure guage on while youre running and see what happens.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scratch this post. I installed new pump and checked the pressure again. Nothing, barely any fuel flow. Took my new fitler off and its full of junk. Im starting to think somebody dumped something in my fuel tanks. I siphoned out some fuel out of my tanks and there is a slime of gritty sludge all thru my fuel from the bottom of my tanks. Looks like I am takeing my tanks out and running all new lines too. This sucks. But thanks anyway guys. any info on a bigger rear tank will be nice too

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My thoughts are you have an alge problem in your tanks.. Might be time to kill it but then you will be going thru plenty of expensive filters. Dropping the front tank and boiling it out will kill everything and save you some filters. The rear tank is a tuff tank to drop but the same cleaning can be done to it also.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does alge look like? How do you go about boiling the tank? I've been running wmo mix for 3 years now and this is the first time I have had this problem so sorry for the questions. What I am seeing looks like runny tar on my filters. Might just be easier to buy new front tank and run new fuel lines than buy a bunch of filters. thanks