Has anyone else noticed all the new members to the site?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I've been here for over two years, I've had some crazy ideas but before this influx of new guys the the general answer for thinking outside the box was it cant be done.

Here's what helps me. It's an internal combustion engine, period. The principles behind power, gas or diesel, are the same. Find the limitations, fix 'em. And if someone says it can't be done, I ask why, then ask what can be done to fix it.

Can't be done is not a good enough answer.

Innovation can't take place if conventions aren't challenged.

And, I'm sorry to say, when you get comfortable with what you have or where you are, you get stuck.

The only way this engine is going to get better is by trying new things and blowing it up, to see why it did. That takes time and risk, and unless you have the guts to do it and the money, it won't happen.

But as we talk about it on the forums, and contributing, a clear plan emerges.

Bigger pumps and injectors are out there, going to bigger or multiple turbos than what the kits have to offer, changing the camshaft, getting rid of the glowplugs, altering the timing and fuel maps in the pumps, headers. There's always something that can be done.

If an IDI can run toe to toe with a PSD, heck even beat a PSD, it'll raise the popularity of the motor quite a bit. Especially if it can be done in an economical manner.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Diesel Power and that IDI project truck they're doing, made a mention of Gary and the website. Best find on the web ever.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I worked to challenge what could be done for years in a speed shop and learned to be an engine machinist because of the desire to make more power...I'm not knocking anyone for wanting more, I'm just saying, there have been a lot of attempts and it would be foolhearty and ignorant to just dismiss those attempts as being less knowledgeable, etc. You learn from what others have experienced, don't make the same mistakes, and move forward. I'm sure those that have been around these things longer than I have seen the same thing I'm talking about, a wave of "new" engineering that has already been tried and tested, let's face it, there is only so much you can do to make more power, if something is working, you might be able to tweak it, but when you are standing at the edge, you only have two choices, accept what you got or jump! Just about the time one of these engineering principals outperforms a PSD, Cummins or Duramax, they can go spend $500 for a chip and smoke you again. To me, it's getting the best you can dependably, if I want more, I'll move to computer controlled because when you can buy a $500 chip or grind a fuel plate and make 100 HP for free on a Cummins, you're not going to make 100 HP with an IDI so easy and definetely not so cheap.

I guess in essence, the IDI is an IDI, dependable, rock solid, but it's not a PSD, Duramax or Cummins, and it never will be!

Fixed it - edited

Last edited:

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
You doin somethin wrong if you're grinding the fuel plate on your computer controlled engine.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Never say never. We never thought there would be 1000hp diesel trucks that get 20+mpg roaming the earth. Never thought that diesel performance would even get this kind of press. Never thought computers would run diesels, yet here we are. Never thought tractor pulling as a sport would become more popular and mainstream, yet purses are getting bigger and more people are participating. Never thought we'd see a diesel pickup run a 7 second quarter mile, smoke free.

I never thought a GM 6.5 diesel would go almost 160 mph in a street legal, street driven pickup, yet it has been done.

I like to hear "Based on my experience, it never can be done."

Only means it hasn't been done by you.

Doesn't stop me one little bit.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I knew what you meant just had to throw ya a hard time;Sweet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Never say never. We never thought there would be 1000hp diesel trucks that get 20+mpg roaming the earth. Never thought that diesel performance would even get this kind of press. Never thought computers would run diesels, yet here we are. Never thought tractor pulling as a sport would become more popular and mainstream, yet purses are getting bigger and more people are participating. Never thought we'd see a diesel pickup run a 7 second quarter mile, smoke free.

I never thought a GM 6.5 diesel would go almost 160 mph in a street legal, street driven pickup, yet it has been done.

I like to hear "Based on my experience, it never can be done."

Only means it hasn't been done by you.

Doesn't stop me one little bit.

I'm not sure who you are referring to when you say "we never thought..." but none of those even remotely suprised me. And just like anything else, you can build what you want with a bottomless purse, but even then, just like in any racing sanctioned event, when is an IDI not an IDI? I put together 5 engines for a local Sprint car, each dynoed over 1250 HP, they were called Chevy engines, but Chevy never made a single part in them, Brodix blocks and heads, etc. That being said, when you want to start turning crank weights off, making rotational mass 1/2 the weight it currently is and spinning an IDI 6000 RPM, is it still the same engine or something different? I'm sure you could take a BBC or BBF and make it run on diesel if you wanted, how long would it last and what would be it's purpose?

That's my point, but just as I've said, and there are several posting here that have been talking one hell of a game, but I don't think anyone has seen an IDI spinning 4500 RPM and living a long life or making 500 wheel HP. When you got that built, it's lived a couple years as more than a trailer queen, let me know, you'll then have my interest, blowing smoke all day about it doesn't excite me nearly as much as looking at the stuff others (I already mentioned them) have done and have a running, working, example of what can be done, not someone blowing off about what should work.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I knew what you meant just had to throw ya a hard time;Sweet

Yeah, I figured. I've never worked on any of them, just the IDI, but I keep reading post after post about all this stuff and all the HP there is out there waiting to be harnessed, I want to see some of it, tired of reading all the theory! Come on guys, let's see all this HP your talking about! LOL Enquiring minds want to see it in practice, looks great on paper (well, on the BB). You want my :hail, you're gonna have to do more than talk about it. I got my 1250 HP builds done (they weren't diesel), lets see some of yours! ;Sweet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My neighbor has a alcohol fueled DT466 pulling tractor as well, he spends more on a turbo than I have in my truck, so the big purse pulling events, state sanctioning bodies, etc. are kind of normal around here. We also have a local guy (Altman Story - StoryTeller) with a blown 460 Ford pulling truck, there aren't many supercharged BBF's pulling in the Ohio State Sanctioned events (last I knew Altman was the only one), but this guys built and pulled his quite a bit with mixed results. He kept lifting blowers and they were quite pricey...finally figured out what was causing it...SPARK PLUG GAP! There aren't any books on stuff like that, but he was literally blowing out the ignition with so much boost. You want to see a disgusted yet happy dude, he changed heat range and gap range of spark plugs and didn't lift a blower in 3 years! Hard to believe, but just another example of how those little details can bite you!

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the site just by doing a general google search. I did some trading and ended up with a 92 7.3 F-350 4x4 and an 84 6.9 f-350. I have found alot of great information. My Dad has had a 91 7.3 F-350 for years, and I have found usefull info to pass on to him to keep it running ie... cavitation, coolant additive. I have recentlly got all the pieces need to convert his auto truck to a ZF 5 speed. Thank you again for the wealth of knowlege this site has!;Sweet

gatorman21218

Reaction score
i was on ford truck enthusiests.com for awhile but found this site and havent checked fte since haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online