Harland Sharp rockers for the IDI

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found this company and noticed they had rockers for some diesels such as the 6.2/6.5 and other diesels. But anyway NMB2 did all the footwork and got a price for them. They are a lil steep in price but they are something else that we will be able to do to our engine. Plus its got a cool factor to it. They can be had in 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 ratios too.

Here is what Justin learned about the rockers today:

"Good news and bad news.

Good news is that he can get us a full roller rocker.

Bad news is that its not $450.

These rockers are bigger than any of the extrusions that he has. This means that he cannot use an existing body to build the rockers from and must build them from billet.

A custom 1-off set of billet full roller rockers will be $800. Also, we would have to change the pushrods from 3/8" ball to 5/16 ball, so either source your own or get custom billet pushrods for $150/set.

I know this price range D/Q's a lot of people that were just interested in doing it probably, but I know I'm still interested because these can offer me a significant amount more lift out of my valves. Its just hard to justify $1000 on something I have no idea if it'll improve on, but at the same time... could make a huge difference."

Here is their website:
http://www.harlandsharp.com/cummins.htm

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Pretty penny, but maybe worth it

FordGuy100

Reaction score
To 'spensive for me, but it would be cool to have another option for rocker (even if they are 10-20x what a set of 7.3 rockers cost LOL).

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Also, if they were made out of billet I would be tempted to make some darn plexiglass valve covers so I can see what I spent all that money on LOL

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Roller rockers do make a difference on cash jobs, but my experience with them does not make me justify that much greenback.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As nicely made as the HS rockers are, there are better ways to spend $800 on an IDI. How much more lift is there room for anyway, without destroked pistons or something. I guess if you've done everything else and have the money burning a hole in the pocket.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reduced sideward thrust on the valve, thus the guide equals reduced wear on internal components. Also with reduced friction we can gain a slight HP increase...not that it would be worth that alone, plus the accuracy of the rockers is a bonus. These can be had in 1.5:1 1.6 and likely 1.7 too. If one wanted to build an all out destroked or pistons cut down engine this would be a nice addition for sure!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A perfect engine to try the higher ratios on would be Ron's stroker motor. He will have custom pistons and rods that will allow for the higher ratio. He would probably be alright the PSD valve springs on the 1.6 ratio but with a 1.7 ratio it would probably need another upgrade from that too.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also Justin is I believe planning on running the 1.6 ratio with his pistons milled as much as they are. He might be able to run the 1.7 but doesn't want to swap the valve springs. Another thing is that if the higher ratios are run, there will be more bang for the buck. I am curious to see if the 1.5 ratio would even add more power too.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY THESE.
yet...
they are having geometry issues

You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.