Hard starting

Davismotorsports

Reaction score
I have a 94 7.3 idi that doesn’t like start on occasion, a quick shot of starting fluid and it fires up and runs fine.... I don’t know a lot about about these things, could it be a fuel issue or fuel not getting heated up enough to start?
Thanks in advance

Patriot304

Reaction score
I don't know what the issue of hard starting would be other than it being real cold but I've always been told not to put starter fluid in a diesel.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a quick shot of starting fluid and it fires up

Do yourself a favor: disable the glow plugs before you use ether (starting fluid).

I have limited OBS and/or 7.3 experience ... someone will chime in to inform you on the most efficient way to do this on your truck (if you don't already know).

Davismotorsports

Reaction score
When it’s cranking, do you see smoke coming out the tailpipe?
Yes there is some but not much, I think I will start with glow plugs, cheap enough to replace and go from there, I hear the solenoid clicking. It used to do this just once in a while but now it’s all the time when truck sits for several hrs. It doesn’t do it if truck has been run and is warm. Like going into a store and coming out, it starts up no problem

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's glow plugs , if it started after sitting for 30 min but didn't start after 8 hours , I think you have air in your fuel line , which is causing the fuel to not be under vaccuum and that causes the fuel to drain back into the tank and then you have to pump it back up the fuel filter then the IP. Good way to test is when it's running , open the schrader valve and see if bubbles come out. Check your fuel pump for leaks as well

Could also be your glow plug module, because you said it starts with starting fuild . Check your fuel return lines on the injectors and see if they are wet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online