hard starting

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has been struggling to start after work (sitting on flat ground) but when i start her up in the morning before i leav for work she starts right up (on a slight slope nose down) im thinking maybe return line? if so i was just thinking of throwing a plug in it, what do you guys think?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the return line wet, or freshly installed, or been bumped recently?

run a clear line from the filter return barb and see if you see bubbles

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just plug or crimp the return line that runs from the filter to the injector return line will fix the problem and it will still run no problem will start better too.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just plug or crimp the return line that runs from the filter to the injector return line will fix the problem and it will still run no problem will start better too.

I will maybe try that. I am going to change the fuel filter Saturday. It is a little wet on bottom. Will plugging the return line from filter to inj pump add a little more fuel into the pump?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... That return line from the filter to the return line caps is just to vent air out of the filter. Many trucks don't use this filter vent line and they run fine. My rig has never had this line on it but... Any air in the filter will have to go thru the injection pump. Thats a not so good thing too. The wet filter bottom is your hard starting problem. When the engine stops the fuel is draining out and causing an air bubble to enter the injection pump. Then the truck is hard to start till the air is worked thru the fuel system. Fix the filter fuel leak and your golden once again..:sly

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No... That return line from the filter to the return line caps is just to vent air out of the filter. Many trucks don't use this filter vent line and they run fine. My rig has never had this line on it but... Any air in the filter will have to go thru the injection pump. Thats a not so good thing too. The wet filter bottom is your hard starting problem. When the engine stops the fuel is draining out and causing an air bubble to enter the injection pump. Then the truck is hard to start till the air is worked thru the fuel system. Fix the filter fuel leak and your golden once again..:sly

Thats the plan this weekend...hopefully it will fix it. I am hoping it is not the return lines but do you fellows happen to have the napa part number for the return line kit. Fellow at my local napa cant locate the kit for me.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a price on that return kit then see if you want to wait a few days and buy one from me with viton orings and olives for about 45.00 shipped to canada.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online