Hard Block Filling....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Over on the STD they are saying that we can fill the coolant side of the blocks up to 1/8 inch below the heads and still be able to run cool enough for street driving and hauling. This is supposed to work because the very top of the cylinder is where all the heat is at... So... How do we get coolant to the oil cooler and back up to the heads for a return system??? I'm all ears if this really works but I'm thinking its not really going to work but in the pulling areanas. Its on the 7.3 idi forum....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd like to be the owner of the machine shop near anyone who tries that trick.
Air pockets are what cause warpage and cracks cookoo that's why you are fine up to the point when things start to boil ( and that's why Evan's waterless coolant can let you go up to 375 deg before you have to worry about damage, , no boiling= no hot spots= no warping or cracking. As long as you have liquid in constant contact with the metal drawing heat away you're in good shape, as soon as you loose that, you're toast.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
There's an article in Diesel Power where A guys is running a 6.5 that's been filled with hydro-cement. Daily driver:dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to be the owner of the machine shop near anyone who tries that trick.
Air pockets are what cause warpage and cracks cookoo that's why you are fine up to the point when things start to boil ( and that's why Evan's waterless coolant can let you go up to 375 deg before you have to worry about damage, , no boiling= no hot spots= no warping or cracking. As long as you have liquid in constant contact with the metal drawing heat away you're in good shape, as soon as you loose that, you're toast.

they do it in race cars everyday street and track

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There's an article in Diesel Power where A guys is running a 6.5 that's been filled with hydro-cement. Daily driver:dunno

And how does he account for the differences in thermal expansion between dissamilar materials cookoo

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can fill a pontiac block to the bottom of the water inlet.outlets on the front of the block and drive it daily without overheating.we have to do this if we wanna bore a 455 anymore than .030

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
in last months diesel power there was a salt lake racer chevy with a 6.5TT that had 3/4 the block filled with hard block. said it had no ill effect on performance and they put 2,000 road miles on (something bout the airplane gears made it kinda hard to drive on the highway). it also said the people who built the engine always use it even on trucks that tow and never had a problem.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly are these cooling system mods even supposed to achive?

I'm a little nuts because I've been running my truck with the fan off for a month now, but none of this is making any sense to me.

sassyrel

Reaction score
they do it in race cars everyday street and track[/QUOTE]

so--fill bottom of block to fill passage with hydro--then the rest of the system has water in it--i/e just the top of the block and heads have water???

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By filling the bolck it is like having a solid casting (no water jackets) It helps to strengthen the block and reduce flexing in the cylinder walls.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
But at what costs. My thinking is loosing most of your cooling copasity wiil have defanant results.... What if any I'm beganing to wonder about. If all this new to many of us information is actual then why do we have cooling issues on some of our trucks??? I needed the aluminum radiater to maintain a temp that I can live with. I don't feel I'm running turned up like some of our members are. I'm no wheres near the top limit but I still needed more cooling. Makes me think I did something wrong like installing the head gaskets upside down... I know I didn't do that but my mind does think alot...:D I don't feel my motor would be able to handle the block filled and still run cool towing. More info is required. Pulling a motor is no problem... Being stuck out on the open highways with a motor that wont get you there and back scares me. Nothing you can do to fix a filled block but send it down the road to scrap I guess.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with gary on this one, I have a hot runner and I am not sure why, I do know that if I pull the grill on a trip the temp drops almost 20 degrees, from 230 to 210, someday I am going to pull the hood and see if it is stalled air causing it to heat. And I have the IH stat and all good system parts.
I am modding a fan clutch to try but if there is no place for the hot air to go???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rus... You still have first dibs on my custom 5 row radiater. I can hold it till you want or need it.....:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Got one that runs a wee bit on the warm side as well whilst towing.

If that be the case then why did they engineer water jackets in the block to help dissapate heat.
Just take a big chunk of iron a bore a few holes for the necessary components and be done with it.:dunno

I can possibly see a fast heat transfer with a large cooling area with a smaller heat generating area along with a stronger block.

Not sure I'd try it on one of our motors tho.
Just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online