Harbor freight comp testor.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right the glow plug adapter does not fit correctly, I never tried one but read up on it before I bought it, so I ended up getting a snap-on one, I bought the tester with a few adapters for around 300 dollars, but I had a discount for being in tech school so I have no clue how much the original price would be

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right the glow plug adapter does not fit correctly, I never tried one but read up on it before I bought it, so I ended up getting a snap-on one, I bought the tester with a few adapters for around 300 dollars, but I had a discount for being in tech school so I have no clue how much the original price would be
I wonder if I could buy HF kit and if just gp adaptor didn't work I could kinda mix match from snap on and still be $$ ahead lol I'm a broke-a$&

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would NOT buy either one that HF has now, the $35 one, the 10mm adapter won't go into the GP hole, the $179 looks like it won't fit either. If you have a store near you, then you could get it, if it don't work, easy to return it. That 90* connection is a pain in the ass to get connected anyhow. I bought one from HF years ago which is a much better unit. I'll take a pic of it and show the part number sometime today. Did have the pic and posted it on here several years ago, have no idea how to find it. Mine was around $80 then a real nice set.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll show you guys what you can do for compression testing later when I go to take pics of my compression tester. I'll post on here later.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked it up and I now remember the snap on guy at my school marked everything up and made it seem like we got a good deal with our discount... New the compression tester snap-on mt33c cost $189, the 45degree fitting cost $36, and the adapter for the glow plug cost $30

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these a month ago.... Came in a black case same part number... It works just fine. Used it on a turbo idi , didn't remove a thing to get to the farthest back cylinder either, just have to snake the hose and attachment behind the turbo after installing the adapter in the glow plug hole

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually picked up a used SnapOn comp tester for $100 last year on CL, then went to my dealer for the 45 adapter and GP fitting. Out the door for less than the HF tester. Worked great.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely worth it, even if you don't use it often it's good to have, plus if there are any other people around with these trucks you can help them out, or you can buy other adapters and charge those who need there powerstrokes or cummins tested haha.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GP adapter did not fit correctly on the $35.00 set, which was easily fixed by shortening it by a quarter inch. We did that, used it, and it worked fine. I thought the "expensive" Harbor Freight set worked fine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how it usually goes with Harbor Freight stuff. If you want turn-key works right out of the box, buy the expensive stuff. If you don't mind have to "tweak" or fiddle with a few things to get it to work, you can save a lot of money using their stuff.

I just bought one of their contact tach/feet/minute digital testers, and it would not work right out of the box, dead. I got to messing around with it, and come to find out either the batteries they supplied are a little too large in diameter, or the battery compartment is a little too small, but the batteries were too tight in their compartment to be able to slide up and make contact with the metal terminals in the compartment. Once I figured that out it works great. It's the small details that kill HF sometimes.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the tester I bought from HF several years ago. I believe it was $69 or $89 then. In the box, the top row of adapters far left is the 10mm for Ford GP and others.

Attachments

• DVC01807.JPG
    DVC01807.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DVC01808.JPG
    DVC01808.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DVC01810.JPG
    DVC01810.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DVC01809.JPG
    DVC01809.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 7

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find my 1/8" X 6" pipe nipple to show you how it adapts to the GP hole, but here's how. The 1/8" nipple will screw into the GP hole, the threads are close enough that they will conform to the 10mm threads, it will Not do any damage to the GP hole threads. You can put a 45* ell on the end, then a quick connect adapter so you can connect the HF gauge. Since the nipple is tapered pipe threads, it will only screw in about 3 threads which is enough. Shorter nipples will work. Use some oil on the nipple threads. Be carefull so you don't cross thread it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't dig up my thread but in my tech 101 compression test thread I posted info on my setup. It works very well was not too expensive and fit like a dream. I ordered the adapter from another company that allows me to run my leak down tester on the diesel GP/injector adapters as well so I've got full coverage!

JM2CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online