halfton/three quarter ton rating questions- what's it mean?

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
super basic questions here:

I realized recently that I don't know what the 'half ton' or 'three quarter ton' rating means- is that what you can haul? how conservative is the rating?

other questions- F150, F250, F350 corresponds to this how? Is it the same in GM's 2500, 3500 etc ratings? how about vans- how consistent is this rating between truck and van chassis?

Mark

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
girl mark said:
super basic questions here:

I realized recently that I don't know what the 'half ton' or 'three quarter ton' rating means- is that what you can haul? how conservative is the rating?

other questions- F150, F250, F350 corresponds to this how? Is it the same in GM's 2500, 3500 etc ratings? how about vans- how consistent is this rating between truck and van chassis?

Mark

For the most part, the weight ratings have to do mostly with brakes and springs. The axles are often the same, as are the frames. For example, and F-250HD has the same rear axle as an F-350. Of course if you have a dually, then it has a higher weight rating naturally. The springs may have more or fewer leaves depending on the rating, and the brake shoes may be wider and the drums larger for the higher payloads. The 3/4 ton, 1 ton, etc., are monikers that come from the GVWR (the total the truck can weight) minus the Tare weight (the weight of the truck without a load). A typical 8600GVWR truck weights around 6800-7000 lbs, so it has 1500 pounds (3/4 ton) more it can carry.