Had an offer on my truck, thinking about selling

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm just sick of everything going wrong with this project, nothing ever works right the first time like it should. I'm done with it.

:rotflmao :D
Just kidding.
Actually I was offered something on ONE of my trucks but not my brown one. I wouldn't sell my brown one after everything I have in it.
A friend of my dad's at work asked if we were interested in selling any of our old IDI's because he misses his. He had a really nice turboed 89 that he let go in the spring, now he regrets selling it.
I have 2 trucks and really don't need both of them so I'm considering selling him my 2wd 83 Explorer. That truck was absolutely amazing on mileage and I only had one issue with it the whole time I've had it, broke a rocker girdle. I just stopped driving it when my bro and I started working together and car pooling and it sat for about a year. I tried starting it this spring and it was a no go so I need to make sure it runs good, but here's what I've got into it and you let me know what I could possibly get out of it or if I should take one of the guys offered trades.
I completely rewired the entire truck when I bought it because of electrical issues it was having.
Installed a new vacuum pump, water pump, alternator, regulator, starter, new injectors, newer IP, and has about 8k on a set of new tires. I paid a couple hundred for the truck and probably have about another $700-800 into it.
The body isn't great, its not rusted out but it really could use a new paint job. It was never a super nice looking truck but it ran great and was always dependable after I'd fixed all the previous owners screwups. It was an all around great daily driver especailly with the 24-26mpg I got with it.
Not sure what I could get out of it. I've thought about trying to get $1500 for it several times but never went through with it figuring someone would low ball me on it.

The guy has offered a few possible trades as well. He has a mid-late 80's trans am that has a 383 in it with more power than he knows what to do with, doesn't look amazing but it runs like the wind. He also has an old Ford Maveric that he restored when he was a kid that he said he'd also be willing to trade.
I could use the cash but I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to flip a trade for more too.
I'll see if I can get a few pics of my truck to show later this afternoon.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You got me there LOL I thought you were serious.

I would take the cash, because if I took the trade I would probably kill myself in that car :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
383 SBC's are wicked fun motors;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
i put a factory crate motor into a "restfied"( restored but not to concours stds) 68 Chevelle and it really suprised the owner just how much power you can get out of a mouse motor. great for stoplight to stoplight races, they do run out of breath at the top end though. get the car plus cash and use to cash to pay for the tickets you will get;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
LOL You would think I would splurge and spend $5 on a new windshield wiper knob :rotflmao. Believe it or not its easier to use the vise grips, as there is more area to grab ahold to turn it.

And yes...good ole fuel sendors LOL. Its real fun when you jump in your truck after a week to see both tanks reading empty and not know which one is the full one, start second guessing...ect....then coasting into town with your truck making funny advance noises :rotflmao

See...deep down my truck sucks LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
great for stoplight to stoplight races, they do run out of breath at the top end though. get the car plus cash and use to cash to pay for the tickets you will get;Sweet

Never noticed them running out of breath (maybe a crate motor) we ran a pretty radical cam in ours though and nitrous. I sold my last one and the guy that bought it put it in a Chevy II...he was quite impressed. It was a nitrous motor with a Pro Shot Fogger on it, roller everything, forget the cam specs, too many motors ago. I built 4 of them while I was in the machine shop and several after, then everyone at the speed shop started wanting the big cube BB motors, so the 383's lost their appeal at the shop.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never noticed them running out of breath (maybe a crate motor) we ran a pretty radical cam in ours though and nitrous. I sold my last one and the guy that bought it put it in a Chevy II...he was quite impressed. It was a nitrous motor with a Pro Shot Fogger on it, roller everything, forget the cam specs, too many motors ago. I built 4 of them while I was in the machine shop and several after, then everyone at the speed shop started wanting the big cube BB motors, so the 383's lost their appeal at the shop.
scott-
there's two different flavors for the crate 383. One is the truck version that has the iron vortec heads. the other is the hi-po version with alu vortec heads. My customer opted for the truck version. It washes up at 4500 rpm. but the idle lope was minimal. Very good behavior characteristics for a general everyday car and when called upon, it revs and puts out torque like a SOB. Also very good on gas too.

sootman73

Reaction score
i pass 55 in third, i could get almost to 70 in third in my old truck:sly and burry the speedo in 4th:eek:

not that i do it as much as you... but i can push 80 in third and when overdrive kicks in the speedo is gone!;Sweet it takes the turns rather well i would say!:rolleyes:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
scott-
there's two different flavors for the crate 383. One is the truck version that has the iron vortec heads. the other is the hi-po version with alu vortec heads. My customer opted for the truck version. It washes up at 4500 rpm. but the idle lope was minimal. Very good behavior characteristics for a general everyday car and when called upon, it revs and puts out torque like a SOB. Also very good on gas too.

Think of what an IDI could do if it ran like that iron head 383. Perfect powerband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US