Gut swap conversion 2wd t 4wd e4od

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone knows how hard to convert a solid rebuilt 2wd E4OD to a 4 wd.

I have access to a freshly rebuilt 2wd w new TQ and such from a van and I want to make it into 4wd from my dead 4wd model.

Anyone????

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you just have to swap the output shaft and remove the tail shaft. most of the trans would have to come apart to do this. far as I know all the other parts are the same.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you just have to swap the output shaft and remove the tail shaft. most of the trans would have to come apart to do this. far as I know all the other parts are the same.

I know that.....but do I have to remove pan and all the valve body n stuff.....or can I go through trans behind pump and work my way down to the tail shaft which is held in place w a circlip?

I hope i dont have to remove pan and parts. I hope it is pretty simple.

Suppose best way....gut my 92 nfg e4od and find out lol.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your familiar with transmissions then it shouldn't be too bad. all the stuff should come out from the front and some of the back. you should be able to leave the valve body in place.

a junk trans is a good way to learn.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy peasy lemon squeezy.:D

Yes,the valve bodies need to be removed but that's the easy part.No it's nothing simple unfortunately.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You might ask a trans shop what they would charge to swap the guts for ya.Probably the best bet,unless of course you like learning and large man size puzzles.:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pan has to come off because the filter plugs into the pump

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not concerned about pan removal or filter...but for sure the valve body etc....just wana swap tail shaft ad tail shaft housing.

My dead 4x trans is 1 will try take apart

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be done, I've done it. Be sure you're dealing with a diesel version of the E4OD. Changing the output shaft will throw all the tolerances out so you'll need to buy a set of snap rings of various thicknesses along with shims, depending upon whether the center support has been upgraded. Check to see that all your planetary cases are steel and not aluminum. Hopefully the 2WD E4OD is post-1995. Sun Shell should be upgraded as well.

I met a LOT of resistance reinstalling the pump. The seals should all be replaced, even on the snout of the pump (Teflon rings.) You will need to buy or build 3 different tools and need a really good dial gauge for tolerance checks. Suggest upgrading the valve body and pump valves with a TransGo kit. You will absolutely need to buy the ATSG for the trans, and have a lot of pics and help like I did from the GREAT MEMBERS on this site.

Here is my journey on the rebuild (a 4WD diesel version of the E4OD.)

http://www.oilburners.net/threads/1998-e4od-on-the-outside-wait-a-minute.69057/