Group 31 stud top batteries vids

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Thanks again

:music: "I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees..." :music:

Great videos...thank you! I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the factory wires are smaller than 2/0 across the board...note that that's not a bad thing :-D IMHO there's no such thing as overkill with wire except when you're dealing with something that requires a specific resistance (i.e. the 7.3l glow plug controller wires :oops: ) for that matter, I helped a friend put 2/0 battery cables in his M-B about a month ago :D

I'm already set up to run stud-top batteries (currently using stud to automotive terminal adapters) and my batteries almost certainly have more years behind them than ahead of them (they've been on my truck since January 2002 :shocked: so I think I'm going to be putting Group 31's in sooner rather than later...

No more "falling on my knees" for me, but I still manage to get there and back.:hail
Over kill is good, the 2/0 (welding cable) looked like it had a thicker bundle of copper than the OE cables.
I'm putting mine through a torture test, left for dead for 2 weeks, we'll see.

Oh and thanks to you for posting this wisdom.

Great videos. Thanks. Does anyone know the difference between group 31 batts and group 29?

Thanks, I can't find 29's yet, so far....:confused:

According to my math the difference is 2.

Correct!

Power on!;Sweet

LCjeff

FYI G-31 is 6.75" wide by 13" long by 9.38" tall (Interstate quote)

Last edited:

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
According to my math the difference is 2.

Of course! :facepalm:

I got them at farm and fleet. They had 31s(stud) in stock, but not 31t(terminal). I asked what the difference between the 29 and 31 one. I was told only the terminals.cookoo I knew better than that so I was done talking to him! The 29 is labeled 29h. It has the same dimensions as a 31, and had the same cca rating. The other numbers were not available for both batteries.

The only reference to group 29 batts I have found online is mostly in reference to RV's

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No more "falling on my knees" for me, but I still manage to get there and back.:hail
Over kill is good, the 2/0 (welding cable) looked like it had a thicker bundle of copper than the OE cables.
I'm putting mine through a torture test, left for dead for 2 weeks, we'll see.

Oh and thanks to you for posting this wisdom.
It'll be interesting to see how she handles sitting for 2 weeks...although, sadly, I've done that to my truck on more than one occasion (my truck isn't my daily driver).

And, thank you for quoting my post...I just re-read what I wrote and realized that I made a mistake; accidentally implied that the factory size was a good thing; I meant to say that going larger than factory size is a good thing. Just edited my post :oops:

I want to say that the factory cable going from the port battery to the starboard battery is 0 gauge and the cable going from the starboard battery to the starter is 1/0, but it's been a while since I've dealt with the factory cables, so I could be remembering it wrong...

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Still on vacation

The truck that is, I'll be starting it up in the next few days.:rolleyes:

Helping a friend move is a good reason to break out the brute, with the $3.95 diesel, I'm thinkin some fuel blending is gonna happen soon. I got a stash of veggie oil.....I 'll start another thread for that.

Got my fingers crossed,,

LCjeff

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I got mine intalled today. I didn't have time to even crank it over once though. :( Tomorrow will be enjoyable though.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I just started my truck after installing some 950 cca batts. WOW. It spins so fast it's crazy. Not even a full revolution and it fired right off! This is awesome!! I just hope these batteries last a while.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
3 weeks

3 weeks and she started right up. :thumbsup:

Perhaps I won't do the return line kit until I get injectors.

Looks like I have lost the ground to the dash. :mad:

All in all, a giant leap forward,

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Doh

Lost the tach, volt meter and the fuel gauge, somewhere along the way.cookoo

Not sure if the fuel selector is switching over either, we'll see.
Any thoughts?

LCjeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online