Grooves on crankshaft

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
I picked up a parts NA 7.3 with an ATS turbo kit on it mainly for the turbo kit. The PO said there was alot of blowby due to headgasket lifting/over boost.

I did discover a few spots on the head gasket where there was charred gasket and soot leading to the valley.

I've gradually been breaking it down to store the parts and discovered really bad scratches on the front of the crank behind the timing gear. The pic is with the camshaft removed looking down toward the pan/oil pump.

I have no clue what the pan holds, but is there supposed to be anything here, where the scratches are? The motor turn over smoothly via crank bolt with heads and all valve train removed.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'll pull the pan in the next few days to see what might be in it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't looked at a crank for a while, but I believe that it's perfectly normal. Nothing goes back there, no bearings ride there so there's no reason for that area to be smooth.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not the best pictures, but here's the way mine looked after reassembly during the overhaul a dew years back. Nothing goes behind the gear. You can also see the grooves behind the gear if you look closely.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here a pic of my crank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86