Gotta get my work van goin'! Losin' $. PLEASE HELP

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I read over what you posted in the i.d.i. section. It sounds to me that you are having problems with a fuel leak somewhere. You have new o-rings and such, maybe the little fuel heater plug on the filter head is leaking again. When you go out the first thing in the morning, carefully take off the fuel filter and see if it's still full. More then likely it's not, and all that cranking that your doing in the morning is priming your fuel system again. Your glow plugs should stay on for about 15 seconds, then your wait to start light will go out. After that you'll hear a series of clicking, that's the afterglow. I installed a manual glow plug push button in mine, it seems to work better for me. If all 8 glow plugs are working, 10 seconds of manual glowing should be more then enough to get it fired up.
I still think that your fuel is draining back to your tanks though, I don't think it's a glowplug issue. I'm always told not to crank the engine for more then 20 seconds, and let it rest for a minute before cranking an other 20 seconds. If I missed something let me know, I can offer some links for trouble shooting and maintenance.

martuseich

Reaction score
After tons of troubleshooting time temporarily replacing fuel lines w/ clear tubing checking for air bubbles, eliminating all other possibilities, we decided the only thing left in the system in question was the injector pump. Still not really sure that was the culprit, we were reluctant to just throw that on there because of the expense. After discussions with a couple other local diesel mechanics, we decided to check / replace the fuel lines under the injector pump. Next 2 mornings she starts with no problem.

Extracting 2 snapped off Alternator bracket bolts, replacing stuck open thermostat, mechanical fuel pump, coolant hoses and tones of troubleshooting, bill came to $1,100.00. Could have been better, but could also have been worse. At least we KNOW what the problem was.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online