Got the old IDI back! (Rant)

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I re - purchased the old black 1986 dually today... and it needs almost as much work now when I bought it the first time. How do some people have so little respect for vehicles that they literally drive them through every little problem they acquire until the one that leaves them on the side of the road? :backoff The kid I sold it too managed to break tilt column so it just flips up and down freely... kept driving it. Wedged the truck between two trees with both doors open, so neither one would open more than maybe a foot... kept driving it. Blew out the clutch... you guessed it... kept driving it. Broke the shifter off... put a 4-way over the stub and kept driving it. Finally broke something in the transmission (I wonder if he was jamming gears?), leaving it with 2nd and reverse only, and drove it back to me so I could fix it so he could sell it. I laughed and told him he'd be better off selling it back to me for next to nothing then paying me to fix it and then trying to get real money for it. This is the second time I've rescued this truck... some people's children -cuss The good news is, now I have an IDI again and I got it for $800! I have the tranny and clutch for it sitting around, I fixed the doors already, and the column shouldn't be a big deal... I'm hoping to have it on the road next week. Got the old tranny out already. Alright I'm done ranting... I'm excited about having an IDI again, I'm planning the WMO system for it at the moment. Been reading through those threads and can't wait to get that in place. This is the Best forum on the web, I'll be glad to spend more time here... ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
How old is this guy? I know a lot of kids my age have absolutly no respect for there rigs, non at all.

That being said, congrates on getting the truck back, and back into a true IDI (6.5's dont cont ;p ).

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I have known a few people like that... things break, and they keep driving. Then when its about to fall apart, it hits them... OH time to fix it. And they wonder why it costs so much to fix it... Its because there is so much wrong with it.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is this guy? I know a lot of kids my age have absolutly no respect for there rigs, non at all.

That being said, congrates on getting the truck back, and back into a true IDI (6.5's dont cont ;p ).

He is actually a little older than me... 24 or 25 probably. You can find them at all ages... The Hummer actually has a 6.2, and I disagree with you about it not being a true IDI... it indirectly injects a bad attitude into me cause I'm going so slow :rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 and 6.5 are definitely real IDIs 6.2 is good, but not as nice as a 6.9. Yeah there are people at all ages that will thrash something, and others who'll baby it and everywhere between. Maybe he learned a little something instructive out of this and maybe you can have a cheap WMO ride or sell it for a few more bucks to somebody who'll treat it right.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
LOL I know they are IDI's as well...but listen to this. When one says, I drive an IDI, I bet most of us think about a IH 6.9 or 7.3. Usually guys with 6.2's or 6.5's talk about there rig, they say they've got the 6.2 or 6.5 diesel in them, I've never heard a guy with a 6.2 or 6.5 say yeah my chevy's got an IDI in it. Thats why IH 6.9 and 7.3 are the real IDI's (its was ment as a joke ;Sweet)

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the tranny in tonight... ended up putting a new (old) clutch in it, new (old) t-case, new (new) rear main... blah blah. Long night, but it seems to drive alright... Still has lots of power! ;Sweet I'll get the steering column in and the plates for it soon and its off to the track... Boulder will hate me all over again :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online