Got the 1985 XLT Club Wagon today!!!

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The moon, planets and stars must have lined up because it arrived today:

You must be registered for see images attach

Quite a story behind getting this thing. It's getting the overdrive transmission I'm doing in another thread.

This was the first time I saw it in person (another longer storyLOL) and today was the first time I heard it
run in real life...
http://youtu.be/VNTSGk54_SE

I bought two batteries, crossed my fingers and lit it. Caught right away (after 8-10 seconds of glow plugs)

It sorta had a C6 in it,

Or at least most of one...:rotflmao

This was a big bargaining chip for getting a pretty good price on it, plus delivery...
...(didn't tell the seller I was planning an E4OD from the get-go, then I ended up selling my Landcruiser which
further financed this deal and I got the QuadraVan front axle and suspension.) All this happened in just a few
days which was kinda weird, never have anything happen like that;Really

Anyways, the 4x4 tranny is almost done, still got to build the 1356 Transfer Case.
*Still got to adapt the E4OD to the van. What am I talking about?!!

Best regards,
George

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey idi_econoline,
good to see another oil-burning box on here, LOL

"Whoa, George....... E4OD swap? AND Quadravan swap?"

Yep AND Yep!;Sweet

I'm (trying) to build an E4OD and put it into a van that isn't supposed to have one...
(Or maybe "supposed to" isn't right, more like "shoulda got one" like how yours has one.)

But that wasn't enough, I've been wanting this exact model van for some time (I got another
Econoline,) so when it showed up, I was thinking "How do I get the other stuff I dreamed about
for this thing?" Within days I sold another vehicle I thought would never move, and at the
same time, I came across Trans, Transfer Case and the Axle from friends and CraigsList.

The QuadraVan axle and suspension were from a guy who had it for YEARS (hoarding like I do,
"might come in handy one day"...) Then he got a Quigley and put it up for sale. He said he
found it in a wrecking yard!!!:eek: He went through it, and it's pretty much all the suspension,
steering (could be improved,) discs, bearings, and axle. (NO rear blocks though...)

Hi Junk,

Cool is how we roll, right? IDI *******!!!

I'll do my best not to disappoint!;Sweet

Hi TowCat,

"that's going to be one top-heavy SOB........" Top heavy is how I like my girls! Actually, it comes
with a 4" coil lift in front, so it should be super safe and stable... ...UNTIL I START DRIVING IT!!!:bail

Hey TrackSpeeder,

BAH HA HA!!! C5-1/2. Yeah, I don't think even JB Weld's gonna save this one. (You should see the driveshaft! ha ha)

I got this thing stashed at my work, I'm surprised at the condition of the 30-year old's body!:sly
It was a van used on the California/Arizona border, at Martinez Lake. Now that it is in coastal Southern
California, all the little nicks and stuff will start going pretty quick, so I will have to act on that pronto.

I got 30 days to register it through my AAA (from the marked date of sale.)

Look what I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utbE7B-3A3s

"Is it supposed to bubble like thaaat?!?"

that's the line going out to the driver's side bank. This thing idles amazing, but for obvious reasons, I haven't driven it or
put the motor under load to see how it is. (Probably want to put that hose piece on my list, anybody know what the name
is for it? Can't go to the dealer asking for a "hose piece" they don't like that around here...) This leak will definitely have
an effect under load/fuel demand.

This is the worst of the rust/corrosion:

If anybody knows of a steel panel source, I'd appreciate it, I think this battery was allowed to leak and kill the mount. There
is NOT even a HINT of how the battery is supposed to be tied down. *I've got nothing to go by (my other Econoline is a '61,
totally different.) In fact, I have NO CLUE how either battery is secured, there are not hints or pieces.

This is some of the worst rust to the floorboard so far:

(Wear the seam meets the two floor pieces is flaking internally pretty bad, prolly gonna cut and weld that one.)

My guess is the P.O. got in the van (physically) wet after kayaking, and the water would pool under his heel.

I pulled the C5-1/2 this afternoon, took about 2-1/2 hours, I kept finding and looking at stuff,
DENT!

(I know, I know, mid-west salted roads destroy cars. Surprisingly the salt air from being within 1-2 miles of the coastline does
similar, but on different parts. This dent will start going to pot if I don't treat it with something, it's probably been dented
like that for DECADES in Arizona.)

The only effort was getting the torque converter detached:

Everything else was lightly torqued, no rusted out bolts, etc.

This is the damage from when the Tail Cone grenaded:

Exhaust got pinched. Already restrictive exhaust got more restricted(er) "Why don't they do Dual Exhausts with these things?"

BEST part was undoing the Bell Housing bolts:

I was literally sitting there on the carpet, cracking these loose with one hand, looking around. Took 5 minutes, this is made much
easier by taking the passenger's seat out (4- 3/4" bolts, real quick.)

Once I got the trans back a couple inches to clear the starter nose and a couple other things...

...I finally go to do what I always wanted to do, but cared too much:

I had it balancing on some wood blocks, then...

(continued...)

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Cont.)

I gave the wood blocks a "Hiii-YAHHH!!!" kick and the C5-1/2 tumbled out:

Yeah, it leaked a bit, but the sound was amazing.cookoo Totally worth it. I'm usually pretty careful with my **** so this was a personal treat.

"You have NO IDEA how much money this transmission saved me..."

The FlexPlate/Flywheel got my attention right away:

The paint was pretty but I see a place for another crank bolt. Wow. Or is "this hole left intentionally blank?" Hmmmm?:confused:

I got the motor supported with a wood block to take some of the strain off the skinny exhaust pipes,

Now I am starting to look at the shifter options...

This contraption of bell cranks and rods was for the C6, which has the shift lever pointing downward out of the case...

One option is to adapt the new tranny to it, and run with it. Seems like a lot of joints for more slop to hide in...

Other option is to switch to custom cable like Ididit. Good action but the problem I see is the Lever at the Bottom end of
the Steering Column exits the "wrong" way for their product. They are so GM, and we, are so FORD...!

Gonna have to hurt myself and THINK about this one...:rotflmao

Another thing to look at is the Cooler and Crossmember. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

"Anybody want a well-used C6, now custome C5-1/2 transmission?"

(This thing is SO HARD to get rid of around here, seriously, you have no idea, this is Kalifornia)

I got some cleaning to do before bringing the new tranny in. Meanwhile I got to wrap up the tranny build!:eek:

Best regards,
George

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That is a injector return line.
Talk with Mel (agmem here) at Conestoga diesel or russell (Typ4 here)
Probably need the hole set anyways.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All flywheel bolts are present and accounted for. There is one blank so it can only go on one way for balance. If replacing flexplate those threads need thread sealant to prevent leaks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online