You must be registered for see images attach
:cheers:

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I have never painted the gasket surfaces tho...will it make a diff?

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. As for the paint on the exhaust manifolds I used 1000 degree high heat silver metallic 2 coats (3 coats of grey primer). The intake manifold is only 500 degree high heat of the same color. She fires and purrs perfect. Now I'm working on the turbo. The bolt broke of in the back on the exhaust side so i need to get that bolt out and get a new one in and I'm gonna put a black and silver color scheme with that setup.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious...would paint on the head exhaust surfaces cause leaks? i thought you weren't supposed to coat those surfaces with paint :dunno.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the gasket surfaces after i painted them i used some sandpaper and took the paint off, then smoothed it perfectly flat.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i masked my heads off. bit of a pain, but it will be nice to be able to just pull the tape off and be done with it. also didn't want paint getting in places it should not be in, not just covering gasket surfaces.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree I should've tape off the ports and gasket surfaces but true be told I was a little over excited and completely spaced it. The gaskets do work fine though and no leaks in the exhaust or intake so at least thats a plus

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was that head job? Was it difficult to do while engine remained in truck? And did you take heads to shop for inspection? Like always, just wondering lol.
It looks like you did a very good and clean job with it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I agree I should've tape off the ports and gasket surfaces but true be told I was a little over excited and completely spaced it. The gaskets do work fine though and no leaks in the exhaust or intake so at least thats a plus

getting excited about putting your engine back together.......Naw. LOL. i am in the same stage lol can't wait to here some solid diesel rattle on these cold mornings.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was that head job? Was it difficult to do while engine remained in truck? And did you take heads to shop for inspection? Like always, just wondering lol.
It looks like you did a very good and clean job with it.

The shop gave me the thumbs up on the heads. Everything was alright. As for the job it was tough but not impossible. I took all of the brackets off up front so I could have all of the arm space and leg room that I can. I also used a crane to lift the heads outta the engine with the exhaust manifolds still on the engine. Just be careful putting the heads back on because the gasket doesn't take much to damage it

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting excited about putting your engine back together.......Naw. LOL. i am in the same stage lol can't wait to here some solid diesel rattle on these cold mornings.

lol well it does have a nice rattle to it, but when it is warmed up its actually alot quieter than it was. I also got better oil pressure when its cold now too;Sweet