got me a new transmisson now what?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so everyone i have some bad news but good news for me, well some of you might remember a while back i made a post about parts galore having a bunch of idi engines in the old u haul trucks, well sadly they scrapped them all, over 20 idi engines gone, i was going to get one of the spicer 5 speeds out of the uhaul truck and there were none, so i was looking around at other idi trucks to try and find a manual transmission, found allot of c6 and e4od transmissions but no manuals, then i walked by this flat bed fleet truck and seen a DT466, started drooling over it, price is between 1000 and 2000 if anyone is interested, i dont have funds for that, but then i seen the transmission and noticed it was a sae#2 bell housing, it is a Eaton Syncro 6, so i pulled it out with ratchet straps LOL and got the clutch and brought it home for 236 bucks, great deal, heavy as hell, not i am looking for a flywheel from an idi and a sae#2 bell housing, if anyone has any please shoot me some prices if your wanting to sell, but now i would like to know if anyone has any suggestions? i would like to be prepared to do this install, it isnt going to be soon maybe next year so i can gather all the parts for it, i am also going to be doing a divorced transfer case to keep the 4x4,

O and there are a bunch of dana 60s out there guys, i think they are 300 bucks for the axle, not to sure have to double check when i go

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
May be easier to buy an sae2 flywheel from a cummins shop and have it redrilled, I wouldn't think the holes would run together, and don't think if done properly it would be any weaker.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never thought of that, im going to check into that further, im gong to make another rear mount for the transmission instead of just having the bell housing mount any way just to feel better, that thing is heavy,

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't use the SAE 2 bellhousing off the DT466? cookoo

Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone tried to find another engine with the same or similar flywheel size/bolt pattern? I've been surprised sometimes in the past with how things sometimes are the same where you wouldn't expect - for instance, early 2000 DT466 engines use the same fan clutch thread as the idi......

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can i use that dt466 bellhousing? if i can i will go get it, i didnt think it would bolt up to the idi but if it does then **** ill be out there asap to get it, it did look similar and that would help a bunch, anyone know if the flywheel would work froma dt466 to a idi? dont think it would but hey ill ask

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online