Got intercooler 99 PSD. Some questions

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I closed the deal on my new intercooler. It's for a 99 PSD but has never been installed. It is effectively brand new. I have access to all kinds of piping, hoses, filters etc.

I have read in great detail the intercooler threads on here and have gotten some very good info and ideas. I especially liked all the pretty pictures.;Really

My questions basically run the shoulda, coulda, woulda course. I am asking what details you would do differently or better ideas you had either during or after your installs. What issues did you come upon during your installs and what are the unforeseen pitfalls you encountered along the way.

Thanks.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
It's a pretty straight forward deal if you're a little creative. The intercooler should fit just around the radiator.... you'll have to do something with that plastic bracket at the front which also is used for the hood latch. I just removed it but left the hood latch set up..... You're intake will probly be creative, seems like everything is in the way, fuel filter, dipstick, etc....... I guess just make sure it's sealed up good, with rubber boots/clamps and you'll need some sort of intake hat fab (which I haven't gotten to yet, haha) Anyways, good luck, and keep us all posted, with pics!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the grill off last night and was eyeballing/measuring the available space. It almost seems like it was made for our trucks in the way everything just barely but acceptably fits. Even the 2 gaps about halfway down between the radiator and core support are perfect for the inlet and outlet. Some modification necessary but not much at all.

My initial plan (subject to change) is to relocate the battery from the passengers side. Not sure where yet. I will then mount the fuel filter over near where the factory jack fits. That will give me a straight shot for the inlet pipe to the turbo to a very large air filter in the space where the battery was formerly. I will run the outlet of the compressor housing alongside the filter pipe as much as possible until it turns to enter the intercooler. The return pipe will be run from the intercooler to the intake hat by itself.

I have a spare intake I can use to make the hat on. I haven't decided on the design for it yet. I don't want to make a "tin man" hat. Too tall. But that might be necessary for a smooth transition.

I intend to take many pictures (as I always intend to) but once I get greasy and focused I forget about the camera mostly. For this project I'll try to do better.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Yup, those two gaps are perfect just need a little modifying, hahaha. I was going to relocate the fuel filter too I guess I still need to and make a new hat or well probly have someone else do it. I was trying to find the picture of one that was posted in that big "Let's talk intercoolers" thread but I couldn't find it. I want to say that it was calvin (towcat) who made it, but I could be wrong. That's exactly what I would want for one, lol. Did you get the piping off the PSD with the intercooler? I was able to use two pieces of it and had to makeshift the rest, mostly from the outlet of the turbo to the hot side piece I had. Those rubber boots aren't cheap, but if you got them with the intercooler, sweet! Anyways, sounds like you have a good plan.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy with the intercooler is a friend of mine. Our daughters go to school together that's how we met. Turns out he has been modding PSD's for 10 years;Sweet and when he found out I had a turbo'd diesel said I had to go to his shop. Well the rest just all fell into place. He also has butt loads of piping and hoses that he has been pulling off wrecked trucks so we'll be able to come up with something.

I don't want to promise you an intake hat because my schedule is full so fabrication could take a while but I intend to make a few anyway. If you still need one by then let me know. I have a plasma cutter and AC tig and access to all kinds of machine tools so I am definitely going to build some.

deadeyeb

Reaction score
here is a pic of the hat i made for my intercooler upgrade it has worked great so far and i still use the stock air filter box.

Attachments

• PIC00008.jpg
    PIC00008.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 35

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hat

Here is my hat fab.

Attachments

• hat pic1.JPG
    hat pic1.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 32

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Dang...... sooooo does anyone want to make me an intake hat???? I'm happy to pay..... lol.... or know someone else who would want to make one?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang...... sooooo does anyone want to make me an intake hat???? I'm happy to pay..... lol.... or know someone else who would want to make one?

tell me what you want and how you want it to point and what size hose and some pics of your turbo setup. I have some time, not much but some.

That a stock turbo setup???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger