Goodyear Wrangler MT-R Tires, Opinions? Snow, Mud, Street.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im pretty much set on getting these tires, but its still a big leap for me because my family has always used BF Goodrich AT's and MT's on our other trucks. The AT's are great in the winter, and to be honest pretty good in the mud, but we have gotten them stuck once or twice. The MT's are by far the best Mud tire out there, but I found out one year in HS that they arent great on snow covered frozen roads. So this is why Im serious about opting to a different brand to try MT-R's, because I've heard they are awesome on snow and ice, and have amazing mud traction as well. Plus they have a super strong casing that is supposedly almost impenetrable.
So, have any of you used the MT-R's, and what are your opinions on them?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean-

I wouldn't run MT-R's on a heavy truck. They're WAAAAAAYYY too soft in my opinion, and you won't get the mileage out of them that you'll get out of a set of BFG AT's.

I run the MT-R's on my rockcrawler (although they're 37's) and LOVE them, but even under my light Toyota, they've worn pretty fast with the limited street time it sees. I can imagine with the weight of a diesel engine and the less-than-perfect scrub radius and ackerman angle introduced by the TTB front end on the fords, they will feather on the edges and wear pretty quickly.

If you're looking for another option, I'd suggest the Toyo Open Country M/T. Several of my wheeling buddies run them and have had better mileage and more even wear out of them on the street than the Goodyears.

Don't get me wrong, the Goodyears are wonderful tires, and work great in my application, aired down to 6 psi and beadlocked...but probably can be beat for daily-driver pavement duties.

My $.02

Ryan

architect-builder

Reaction score
I have had MTR 285's on my trucks since birth (of each truck). Rach's 1st 2001 Excursion was our first diesel truck. We got 40,000 out of the first set of MTR's we made the dealership change the firestones for. We have had MTR's ever since, including my 03 F-350 and her 05 Excursion, again both diesels. I find it very hard to change to another tire, I just love the multiple duty, road, mud, snow, etc. I love these tires.

JMO.

Barrett

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I appreciate the opinions guys!

Ryan, you're completely in line with the only complaint I've heard about them. That a person needs to rotate them every 6,000 miles tops. I had planned on rotating them every oil change, just to keep them good and even. I believe thats the key thing for making them last longer.

I guess one key reason Im still leaning towards the Goodyears, rather than the BFG's is because I am getting them at a special price to begin with, $996 for the set, and I also am getting some Goodyear employee coupons from a friend that will make them $896, installed, balanced, new valve stems (which I dont need, but havent mentioned yet), lifetime road hazard, and free alignment. Whereas if I got BFG AT's I'd have to pay full price for them, which would put them at about $40 per tire more than what I'd be getting these MT-R's for. Plus, Im glad I talked to this tire shop, because they, unlike many tire shops, have insurance that covers any damage to aluminum wheels that may arise while in their possession. Which means, if they damage one of my brand new Alcoa wheels, they will replace it. Which makes me sleep better at night.

But you are right. Getting the life out of these Goodyears that we do with the BFG's, will probably be difficult.

joe_diesel

Reaction score
I had MTRs on my 2003 F250 7.3. The truck was lifted and the tire size was 315/75r15. The milage was about the same as the Super Swamper SSRs I had on it as the previous set. The MTRs did provide better grip in certain cases BUT, they are by no mean puncture proof. I had several events where the tire had to be repaired that I did not have with the SSR.

www.thetirerack.com had a place on it for buyer feed back that included rankings of tires by type. I used it and advice from others over at a site I used to visit before I got couldn't stand it (I think you guys may have heard of it...the sleezle stop). Anywhot that's my inflations adjusted 2% of a buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist