Good Deal? 1986 e350 6.9l 4x4

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Austin Crowe

Reaction score
Yea I know you can get cargo vans and step vans for cheap, but I'd really like to have the 4x4 and lift if there's a gnarlyer way to travel I want to take that path. But yea I mean it's really pricey and it would definitely be more comfortable living in a step van. Here's one I'm looking at right now sounds like it it a good deal but I hate that it's so low and no 4x4.

http://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/6057909325.html

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you still get a 6.2 in 94? Wouldn't that have been a 6.5?

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really, neither was a great engine but I would take the 6.5 over the 6.2

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only reason I would go 6.5 over 6.2 is to get a factory turbo version.
But I would do everything to avoid the ds4 ip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could make you a real sweet setup for your own liking. Here in the ozarks trying to sell a jeep modded out is hard. You have to find that same person or some young kid to buy it for what they are worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP,

I searched for quite a while for a good candidate (legally registered in our state as diesel, and smog exempt, so I could play
with the drive train) diesel van as a base for my project.

The one I found had 64,000 miles on it (verified through Carfax, about 35 bucks, the original owner kept track of miles to
his insurance company) It was a pretty cherry 4x2, (see first video,) I was in the process of purchasing it when one of the
transport guys got the rear wheels wedged on a ramp and punched it anyways.

I get the call from the broker, bummed out, telling me the driveshaft wound up like a candy cane and the back of the
transmission had blown off with fluid all over the place. (He didn't know I had already started building a diesel E4OD
just for this van, I was going to get rid of the diesel C6 anyways.) I negotiated the price down to $3250, delivered,
with all paperwork handled, (I couldn't take the time to pick it up and run it back to my shop.)

We were both satisfied with the deal, no one would have wanted it back then in spite of cherry with low miles and he knew it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's a 1985 6.9L idi, now 4x4, with upgraded E4OD (Stage 3) and Powerstroke style flanged output BW1356 Transfer case.
(see second video.) I knew a guy in El Cajon who had a Pathfinder/Quadravan axle and parts that he grabbed off an E350
that was going to the crusher. He gave up on his project and ended up buying a Sportsmobile and sold me the axle.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

(FYI, full sized vans never came from the factory as 4x4, and Ford was working with 2 or 3 vendors in the 1980's, so
either it was a vendor job or a homemade job.) The axle track width and fit of the radius arm hangers, etc. were perfect.

Still, there was a LOT of cutting and welding of the van's crossmember under the motor and some of the sheet metal floor
bracing under the back end of the doghouse (I wanted the trans/transfer case tucked up high.)

I modified the Pathfinder axle to a panhard style lateral track arm, and crossover steering. The end result has been better
than I could have imagined, the suspension has great articulation and the road manners are smooth and stable even
with the 4" of lift.

Ok. Here is my take on what you're looking at and why the inflated pricing.

I joined a FaceBook group for "4x4 Vans" and based upon what members there say, a diesel van, with 4x4 is a Holy Grail
of sorts. (I'm not making this up, guys are frothing about 4x4 vans in general, and see a diesel, especially the older ones
as very desirable.) A gas 4x4 van in good shape will sell. There's 4x4 Vans of all sorts for sale there, now more than ever...

The things are overpriced (at least in Southern California.)

Having grown up here and seen the real estate market go out of control (you should see what my neighbors pay in annual
property tax, you won't believe me, I'm Prop 13'd the only reason I can live here,) the pricing of the van you are looking
at is like an ocean front house (a shack) in a trendy community.

There is NO rationale for the pricing, blue book would put it at 4x2 prices 2000 low, 4000 mid, 6000 high (diesel) and gas
would be similar but lower. There is NO 4x4 comps to go by in book form so the seller gets to throw his line in the water
and see who is gonna bite. My real estate buddies often say about the 2 and 3 million dollar 'Fixer Uppers' "Well, that's
what the market will bear..." Holy smokes, that's crazy, but I see it every day here.

One comment about the Pathfinder/Quadravan suspension system. I'm a mechanical engineer, I designed suspension systems
in rockets for the US Space Program, I know suspensions and I can tell you, in stock form, it is terrible. Here's why:
You must be registered for see images attach

Look at the two lateral track arms, (the sloped pipes almost joined at the center) attached to the modified crossmember, that go out to the
fronts of the radius arms (which moves together with the axle.) So, that's part #2 stationary with the vehicle, linked to the axle by track rods
(part #5,) with the track rods attached to the axle at the front of the radius arm (part #4.)

Study that. Mentally make the suspension go up and down. Any problems? Your head hurt yet? The suspension binds. Supposedly
it binds and the only lateral "give" is the rubber snubbers at #4. The snubbers act like Belleville washers made of rubber, (think of
them as rubber diaphragms, and the track rod pushes in/out of the snubber.) Look at the rubber snubbers (far left):

You must be registered for see images attach

IT IS HORRIBLE. Most choppy ride you will ever experience. The van is stable though, the front axle housing is almost like a giant anti-sway
bar. LOL.

Sorry guys, I had to get that off my chest.

I got all kinds of people, some are punk rich kids, running up to me all the time, "I'll give you cash for your van, how much?" If I didn't
like it so much, I'd say, "30 grand kid, go talk to your dad and meet me in an hour with the money..."

So, OP, that's it, do you want to be part of that trend? From that Facebook group, I'm gonna guess the fever has spread everywhere,
so you're going to see some pretty shabby "works" asking stupid high prices, from all over and sellers will get their asking price...

...know what you want and why, and always remember "caveat emptor." ha.

Look at the RV's other members are showing you, they are mostly 2 wheel but plenty comfortable and capable, and great prices.
What do you want?

Good luck with it,
George

Austin Crowe

Reaction score
Thanks George, your van is awesome.

And the main buying factor for me on this van is the look. I love the high top on it, front end and those huge RV windows. Ive searched all over Florida and can't find one other diesel van that isn't just a beat up cargo van. But yea I know it's expensive for $12k which I did talk to him and he says he's open to negotiating so I'm pretty sure I could get it for around 8-9k.

Also if you don't mind me asking how much total do you have in your van apart from the $3250 you bought it for?

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is serious PimpDaddy stuff!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's funny. I helped put a 6.9 in one that looked like that. It was n/a and had stacks. We called it the "Pimpmobile".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828