Go ahead....Confirm my fears,

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
After a recent overheating incident, I now see tiny, white foaming bubbles in the radiator, and the occasional large bubble, all when idling. What do you all think?
( '86 F250 6.9, C4)

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger that you have exhaust in the coolant. A weekend and some beer, you will have fun, trust me.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Thanks, all.
Looks like I will be starting to pull the heads today. and then every evening until its done. I have permission from work to buy a shop crane--I was waiting for a good time. I guess this is as good a time as any. Who wants to pull those heads by hand?!

Jimmy Cone is doubtful, but possible. Darn!

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
I plan to go to Jimmy Cone by myself so if you at least want to ride, let me know. I also have an engine lift that you are welcome to borrow. I could bring if up this weekend if you want. Just let me know.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're all here for you Michael. Maybe we can drive your truck to Scotts house and consolidate all this heavy duty work. LOL

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Thanks, Mel....IF I could drive it that far, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Besides, I have already started the teardown. I got the radiator drained, and the fuel filter head/vacuum pump off the rt head. Plan to remove A/C and PS from the left head today, and then the IP and lines.

I don't need to borrow a hoist--my company "needs" one and this is as good a time to buy it as any. I'll just "store" the company's crane at my house for a while. It can keep the comapny's battery charger, battery tester, and trolley floor jack company. :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you were planning this or not, but take the radiator out. It makes for good standing room, with one foot on the steering box, and another on the opposite frame rail.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Thanks,
I just bought,..... ummm MY COMPANY just bought the engine hoist.
I know why they put ears on the radiator--that sucka is too heavy to muscle out.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Any sponsors, or on-line vendors want to work up a package price for:
Head gasket set
Valley Gasket
ARP head stud set
2 lifters ( or 4 if thats how they come)

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Parts are ordered, except for the head studs which will be order Wednesday am.

So far, I have assembled the company shop crane, and used it to lift out the radiator. Pulled the IP, and the Intake Manifold. ( 2 hrs)

In the experience of you who have done this, is it better to unbolt the exhaust manifolds before pulling the heads, or leave them on, and just unbolt the exhaust pipes from the manifolds?

Tomorrow, I plan to slowly unbolt the heads, and lift them out.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
When You put them ON You do it with the manifold already bolted on the heads so yes You can pull it all together specially with the advantage of having a hoist.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
In the experience of you who have done this, is it better to unbolt the exhaust manifolds before pulling the heads, or leave them on, and just unbolt the exhaust pipes from the manifolds?.

Well they do make nice grab handles.:rolleyes:
Just remeber the passenger side back 3(IIRC) head bolts will have to stay in the head upon removal, unless ya get ambitious to remove the heater box.

Sounds like ya got the right direction going on.:thumbsup: