glow plugs?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my glow plugs about 11 months agoalong with the controller and selenoid. if truck is plugged in starts great but if not, won't start in 60 degree weather. Could it be glow plugs already?! I'm going to check connections now. But the glow plug light stays on accordingly the first cycle. And after warmed it shuts off much sooner

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I wonder if you've got a different issue. Seems from what I've seen, a healthy 6.3 or 7.3 will start bone cold without GP's even working if it's that warm outside. It might complain a little, but it should fire. Does it even try to catch or does it just keep turning over with no catching at all? Test the GP's too along with the connections, eh? When you put the new ones in 11 months ago did the truck start great bone cold all the time? Lst question, do you keep your foot in the throttle when you're trying to fire it just off the GP's?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What type of glow plugs did you install. What yesr truck and engine are you working on. Just because the glow lite stays on that doesn't mean the controller is getting the needed power to work the system. Check the engine main wireing harness plug connecter. Look for two yellow wires that feet power to the controller. When corrosion gets in the plug the resistance goes up causing heat. That heat will melt the plug. Most replace the tro yellow wires with multi strand speaker wire avaiable in any audio shop. I think I use 4 or 6 gauge wire. Direct from the solenoid to the controller. Some install a circut breaker or a fuse. I didn't but should. No need to remove the yellow wires from the harness but cut them back out of the way in the loom.

erikbala

Ride rank make Bank
Reaction score
Not to Hijack, but im having the same issue, replaced mine no more than a month ago, tested them and they are dead. what could cause such rapid burn out? i have them on a manual button, and i don't glow more than 6 or 7 sec.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
X2, they seem to get kinda pitted or whitish with very advanced timing. Or if you have autolites or something other that motorcraft plugs in there, they are probably toast.