glow plug wiring harness

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It cranks over but no fire. I put a jumper wire from the fuel shut off valve to a battery and it started but the glow plugs are getting power. Could it be the gp relay? I am getting 12 volts at the two yellow wires that go to the relay.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It cranks over but no fire. I put a jumper wire from the fuel shut off valve to a battery and it started but the glow plugs are getting power. Could it be the gp relay? I am getting 12 volts at the two yellow wires that go to the relay.

Do you see smoke billowing out the tailpipe if you floor the pedal while it cranks? If no then you aren't getting fuel, either the IP isn't opening up or its bled dry, or a massive leak somewhere.

If your getting smoke out the exhaust then its just the glowplugs. 12V at the yellow wires is ok but you need to check the relay output itself, and at least 1 of the glowplug ends to make sure the harness and relay and controller if in use is working. The yellow wires just go to your battery ;Really

If there is no power at the relay output, then the controller isn't working or the relay is bad. You can manually control the relay by connecting the small Sensor post to the big yellow-wired input post to manually engage it. Should hear a click and see some sparks if your using needle nose pliers :rotflmao

Also, make sure the glowplugs aren't dead. Easiest way is a test light from hot and touch the top of each without the connectors on em'. If it lights up the glowplug isn't burnt out. No light = bad plug. Or use a volt meter in the same way :sly

The exhaust will tell you a lot of info. Generally - Black = clogged intake/overfueling, white'ish = unburnt fuel (cold start), blue=bad rings/blowby

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going test the gp but I don't that they would all take a **** at once. This is what happened I was driving to work and it died so. I got it towed home. Once it was home I noticed that the wait to start light wasn't working and then I made a jumper wire and put it from the fss to the battery. Then I tried to start it and it started right up.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
It sounds like an issue with a common power source - do you get accessories when you turn the key to on?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
are you getting battery or close to battery voltage at the ignition terminal on the glow plug relay? that post, the fsv, & high idle all feed off of the same 2 wires wire.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Everyone should put this in your favorites. http://search.ebscohost.com/ Its free for use. Just think how intelligent you can be now.

User ID--Bedford -------- Password--Library

There is loads of info there, all makes and years of vehicles. Just "CLICKY" on Auto Repair.

follow the ^^^^^link.
enter in your vehicle. then click on repair information. then click on chassis electrical. then click on wiring diagrams in the chassis drop down menu. you will then see a list of diagrams. find the one that is Fig. 14 1990-1993 diesel. click it. you will then have a wiring diagram for your glow plug circuit.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find the diagram. Do you think you can post it for me? Where is the ign termail at on the realy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk