Glow plug testing

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've discovered on two occasions now that using a test light for checking glow plugs, can be innacurate.

I tested a few on my brother in laws truck a while back and they all tested good with the light but upon hooking up power to them, only six were working.
I also discovered this on my truck the other day, I had one that showed bad with the light and I had one that tested good with the light but was no good with power applied.

The best way I discovered to test a glow plug, is to use something instead of a light that has some load to it, like a 12 volt heater or radiator fan motor. I tried this on my bad glow plug that lights up a test lamp but upon hooking up the fan motor, it would not run.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I like to put power right to the glow plug, I have seen way to many times, no good ones that would still pass the test light method. (even berus)

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or use an Ohm meter.

That's the best way IMHO, one lead to ground and the other to the tip of the plug after you pull the wire off. A near zero reading (if digital) or a full scale deflection (if analog) on the meter indicates a good plug.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The ohmmeter method is good. But I also prefer to just pull them and send 12 volts directly to the plug. That way I can see how long it takes to heat up and the heat pattern of the plug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.