Glow plug solenoid

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has been starting slow and the WTS light is only staying on about half the time it should, so I checked all the GP's and they tested "good" w/ OHM meter (1 ohm) I figured that there would be a bad one since they have been in there over 3 years. So next I checked the Solenoid, key on it shows about 9-10 volts on the output side for a couple seconds (same time WTS light is on) then starts the very fast on off cycling. The meter is showing open/closed circut, but its to fast to get a volt reading.
I didnt have much time to mess with it or I would have checked some more stuff. Could the solenoid be causing the fast cycling?
GP controler ground is good, and I am getting voltage to the plugs.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight when I left work (40*) WTS light came on and went right out, Clicking started, when it stopped I cranked and cranked but it didnt try to fire. Cycled gp's one more time and pushed the acc a bit and it started.

What is causing the controler to only turn on the GP's for a few seconds?

This truck has never had a problem like this, every other time it was a bad plug. I might just throw a new set at it and see what happens.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight when I left work (40*) WTS light came on and went right out, Clicking started, when it stopped I cranked and cranked but it didnt try to fire. Cycled gp's one more time and pushed the acc a bit and it started.

What is causing the controler to only turn on the GP's for a few seconds?

This truck has never had a problem like this, every other time it was a bad plug. I might just throw a new set at it and see what happens.
Could be a bad loose connection on the controller or a bad GP or few.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinkin controler or bad sol. since all the plugs tested "good"
If I dont get a chance to look at it this weekend I might have to get the block heater cord out! I dont wana fry the starter or batteries.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinkin controler or bad sol. since all the plugs tested "good"
If I dont get a chance to look at it this weekend I might have to get the block heater cord out! I dont wana fry the starter or batteries.

Opps sorry about the glow plugs "testing good"...and I did read that:drunk:
However a bad GP or two will cause also your problem. Also as mentioned a loose wire/ground or the most expensive thing, a bad GP controller.