Glow plug relay

Gachris

Reaction score
Is it normal for the gp relay to continue clicking after engine start ? Clicks for about 10 to 15 secs after start .

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Kind of.

Check your glow plugs. If they are all ok, it's not something to be worried about.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does too. It's done that ever since I got it off a Craigslist ad. It's had its glowplugs replaced shortly after purchase ( wanted to be damm sure Beru was in there, not autolites after reading the forums here!) .

No change.

I thought it was Fords way of tapering off glow plug heat immediately after engine start, and did not investigate further.

Fordman1920032003

Reaction score
It shouldn't click except for when it is engaged and disengaged after 10 seconds or so. Only time mine has ever clicked was from a loose wire affecting resistance.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it cycles after engine start. I think that was intended to help cold ignition to reduce pollution. Or maybe that is BS :D

I added an oil pressure switch that deactivates the GP relay once I have oil pressure - I get maybe one cycle after engine start, I don't wait for GP's if the engine is already warm, and I notice a LOT less failures of GP's. I consider this to be a 'must-have' upgrade similar to hydroboost, turbo, D60 - and this upgrade is cheap!

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your system is working as designed... Quote below is from my Ford 7.3L Diesel Service Manual when describing GP operation:

'An after-glow operation allows the glow plugs to cycle on and off after the WAIT TO START lamp has turned off. This helps to reduce white smoke during engine warm-up. The lamp will NOT cycle on and off during this operation.'

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fordman1920032003

Reaction score
Your system is working as designed... Quote below is from my Ford 7.3L Diesel Service Manual when describing GP operation:

'An after-glow operation allows the glow plugs to cycle on and off after the WAIT TO START lamp has turned off. This helps to reduce white smoke during engine warm-up. The lamp will NOT cycle on and off during this operation.'

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
If thats the case, then i just cant hear that with the engine running. But clicking isnt good.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can confirm, yesterday my 85 6.9 cycles for 2 mins upon cold start.

Started it up 4x times that day afterward no lingering light.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, it's hard for me to hear the GP relay over the engine racket, but the GP current draw is quite noticeable on the voltmeter.

My Carter E fuel pump is quite noisy, and the change in the pitch of its whine is quite noticeable to me.

Or at night, it's also seen as fluctuations in lighting intensity.

When I first bought my van, I did not know that much about GP, and thought my wiring had a bad problem somewhere.

Now that I know what it is, I am thankful for it, as part of the little symphony my van plays every time it starts up, and I know what every note is for.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Can confirm, yesterday my 85 6.9 cycles for 2 mins upon cold start.

Started it up 4x times that day afterward no lingering light.
My 85 has a 7.3 in it with the 6.9 style glow plugs. I have it on a manual control and there's not a controller at all (except for my hand). When it's cold out (below freezing) I'll manually cycle the glow plugs after the engine is running. How many times depends on the temperature, but it's rarely more than 5 or 6 times. I'll cycle it for a few seconds and then let it set for 10-15 seconds before cycling it again.