Glow plug problems

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered some glow plugs from MWFI.com a few years ago so when I finally worked on the truck I would have new plugs to put in and not worry about old ones. I ordered 8 ZD9 plugs from them thinking and expecting that they were Beru, and put them in the truck last week with out looking at them. Well long story short I started it up with it somewhat cool around 35 and it started great in about 1 second. Then this morning I go to start it (got down to 22 last night) and the plugs only stayed on for about 3 seconds and had a hard time getting it to start and was wondering what's going on :dunno :dunno . So I start cheaking the plugs and found that 1 was dead already :mad: :mad: and only after 1 start. I went to take it out and it threaded about and stopped, OH words -cuss -cuss . I kept on spraying oil on it and turning it back and forth for about 4 hours and then it finally came out. The tip had swelled up just enough to just barely come out :eek: and I looked at the plug a little closer and saw it wasn't a Beru, it was a Wellman. So I took another plug out and hooked it straight to the battery and it died within 8 seconds -cuss but didn't swell. Well it looks like I'm going to have to take the new POS plugs out and try to find some REAL Beru plugs.

Would anyone happen to have any Beru plugs they might want to sell? If so just PM me. I don't want to have to go through this much trouble or mental torture again as I don't think I would luck out again the next time one swelled.
Here is a picture of the plug with the swelled up end, it's kind of hard to see by the picture but it is definately swelled-cuss .

BTW don't order glow plugs from MWFI as they are a POS!

Attachments

• 69.JPG
    69.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 21

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your controller is not turning on while the truck is running? Many of us are running Wellman's and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having a problem with them.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The controller is about 2 years old so I don't think that's the problem. I only let the truck run for about 1 minute tops because I don't have the radiator in yet and was wanting to see if it would start ok.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had any problems with Wellman plugs, or did I just happen to get 2 duds?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you what is in my truck for glow plugs...I just tested them all last week and they all work. (winter is coming) I had 3 dead ones least summer when I got it and I used 3 used ones my IH co-worker had in his toolbox. I have 2 more in the glovebox. It wasn't until after I installed them that I saw all the threads about the do's and don't of IDI GP's.....Other than Beru's, what are some good brands? I would normally just go to IH or Ford for GP's but now you have me thinking about it...LOL

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try autozone online. They were selling the zd9's for 2.99. Not sure if they still are or not but its worth checking out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online