Glow Plug Life

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Am curious if anyone knows the life of IDI glow plug?Are they checkable etc. as I bought some about 5-6 years ago and put them in truck and now it's hard to start etc. again and I know the plugs may be bad?I took one out as mine has the Wellman in it and wondered what was best to use or buy as these have about 20,000 on them where the Motorcrafts had 82,000 on them with the same hard start issues but didn't seem to last that long?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
ZD9 Motorcraft beru glow plugs will be what you want to use. They are the proven plugs that work the best. This forum has many hundred thousand miles of testing them. Welman are ok but never use the autolites or champion brand. Those 2 brands will fail in short order than some will swell up and be nearly impossible to remove. Are you using a manual glow time..

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Truck is in factory configuration etc. and has been reliable in the past but is hard to start so it's tune up time?

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
Had this in another thread too, is it hard starting cold, hot and/or both situations. I forget the numbers but the easiest and quickest was to check to see if the GP are more than likely good is to, while installed, put an unpowered test light on them with the alligator clipped to the + positive terminal on your battery. Then touch the probe end of the test light to each individual GP, with wires disconnected. If it lights up, GP is probably good, if it doesn't light up, GP is bad.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
But, if your starter is worn, and turning a bit slower than new, it could sound like its good, but be turning slower than 100%. It's not going to fire easily either.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
If the glow plug is install in motor how are you going to see if it's lite up as I'm not in the motor?

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your plugs installed or taken out? With them installed, disconnect the wires to each glow plug, and use the test light method as mentioned, connecting the alligator clip to positive in the battery, and the probe on top of the gp. If it lights up, that plug is likely good. Be sure to disconnect the wires to each plug, if you test any plug with them all connected, your light will come on based on the whole system, it isn't representative of the one plug.

If the plugs are out, use an ohm meter, touching one probe to the threads of the gp, and the other probe to the top of the gp where the wire connects. If they are good, your gp should read little to no resistance, just like if you touched the two probes of the meter to themselves. If you get a lot of resistance, that plug is shot and needs to be replaced.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Well checked the plugs with light and all are OK so what is the next item I need to check?I pulled several of the plugs out and the ends are black looking and don't appear like what I took out.The controler clicks when key is on so what else can it be?

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Probably 12-15 seconds maybe a tad longer as I usually count?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
How many miles on the engine? IP? Injectors?

As you have reported, the GP system and plugs seem to be operating correctly. Next is fuel delivery, low battery or low compression.

Or you could just change the GPs and see what happens. They are the least expensive part of the system to replace, and take only a couple of hours if you are not in a hurry. My answer to your question is that there is no simple answer because all trucks are used and driven differently, and no two GPs are created equally.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Motor only has 118,000 and almost all of those are highway but I know a couple injectors are leaking as white/blue smoke when you fire it but have new matched injectors and want to get IP done all same time so looks like major tune up time?...I've heard stories people saying never touched the motor and have well over 250,000 on them but don't believe that as this truck has had 3 water pumps and several lines replaced on injectors and this truck was babied garage kept!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm courious about the injector lines that gor replaced. Were these hard lines.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In sudden hard start problems there seem to be a lot of electrical... positive cable, connection to starter, that kind of thing

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
No hard lines just a few rubber ones that were hard and split but went back and checked and found two dead glow plugs so going to replace them and see?